Fancy Goldfish Laying At Bottom + Swim Bladder Disease? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Samantha Levine, May 24, 2018.

1. Samantha Levine

Samantha LevineNew MemberMember

My oranda goldfish has had trouble staying level for a few days now. I have checked my water parameters: ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates 15 and pH 6.9. He has been leaning very heavily to his left side and swimming vertically, head up. Today I tried the skinned peas method, it has been a few hours and now he is laying at the bottom of the tank! I am really starting to get worry because at least for the past few days he remained active. I'm going to continue feeding him peas for the next 2-5 days. Is there anything else I should be doing? It is breaking my heart seeing him this way :(

2. LilBlub

LilBlubWell Known MemberMember

I’m sorry you’re having problems. I had a fantail with a swim bladder birth defect, so she would occasionally tip over and be unable to flip herself back, so I get how frustrating this can be. Have you tried fasting him? If it’s an issue with his digestion, not feeding for a couple days may help “clear things out”, so to speak.

3. OP
    OP
    Samantha Levine

Samantha LevineNew MemberMember

Thank you so much for responding and for understanding. I fasted him for 48 hours and then tried this pea method I read up on. If this doesn't work over the next couple of days, I'll try fasting him maybe for 3-4 days and see if that does the trick. If not, maybe it is a bigger underlying issue. Again, thanks!

4. LilBlub

LilBlubWell Known MemberMember

I hope the peas work. You could also try an Epsom salt bath, that’s been known to work. If none of that helps, it could be a bacterial infection. Medication may help with that, if all the traditional treatments fail.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice