Fancy Goldfish Laying At Bottom + Swim Bladder Disease? Help

1. Samantha Levine

Samantha Levine New Member Member

My oranda goldfish has had trouble staying level for a few days now. I have checked my water parameters: ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates 15 and pH 6.9. He has been leaning very heavily to his left side and swimming vertically, head up. Today I tried the skinned peas method, it has been a few hours and now he is laying at the bottom of the tank! I am really starting to get worry because at least for the past few days he remained active. I'm going to continue feeding him peas for the next 2-5 days. Is there anything else I should be doing? It is breaking my heart seeing him this way :(

2. LilBlub

LilBlub Well Known Member Member

I’m sorry you’re having problems. I had a fantail with a swim bladder birth defect, so she would occasionally tip over and be unable to flip herself back, so I get how frustrating this can be. Have you tried fasting him? If it’s an issue with his digestion, not feeding for a couple days may help “clear things out”, so to speak.

3. OP
    OP
    Samantha Levine

Samantha Levine New Member Member

Thank you so much for responding and for understanding. I fasted him for 48 hours and then tried this pea method I read up on. If this doesn't work over the next couple of days, I'll try fasting him maybe for 3-4 days and see if that does the trick. If not, maybe it is a bigger underlying issue. Again, thanks!

4. LilBlub

LilBlub Well Known Member Member

I hope the peas work. You could also try an Epsom salt bath, that’s been known to work. If none of that helps, it could be a bacterial infection. Medication may help with that, if all the traditional treatments fail.