Fancy Goldfish in a 20 gallon long tank: Will it grow?

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a goldfish named Pom, Jr. (after a previous fantail/oranda mix named Pom Pom). He's about 3" long right now, maybe 1/2" wide. I got him from Walmart about 9 months ago. He has 2 tail fins but in reality his body is shaped more like a common goldfish than a fancy goldfish.

At first I kept him in a 5 gallon aquarium. (Please don't flame me! I had no room for anything larger at the time.) I kept up good filtration and had an Amazon Sword plant in the tank to keep the water chemistry in check. After a while, though, he started to get swim bladder disease. Then one night after I cleaned the filter of algae and replaced the carbon bag with a new one, it stopped working.

I had kept him in his 5 gallon tank (prison cell?) for about 9 months. Since setting up the 5 gallon tank I had received some new furniture from my parents' house, including a table which I sat on to test its strength - and it passed the test.

So, I went to the local LFS (a Petsmart) and bought a 20 gallon long tank with plenty of surface area. I set it up with all the old gravel in it (to make the new tank cycle faster) and added some aeration and a new power filter.

Anyways, Pom, Jr. seems a lot happier in his new home. (The same can't be said for the Amazon Sword, but I think it's recovering gradually as it's sprouted a few small leaves.) I'm feeding him a little more often now than before, 3-4 floating pellets twice a day, sometimes with a bite of krill for good measure.

My question is: How large can I expect Pom, Jr. to grow in his/her new tank? I'm hoping for at least 5 inches.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to FL
20 gallons is the minimum tank size recommended for a fancy goldfish. Hopefully Pom will grow to a nice size in his new home. I think 5 inches, but probably bigger is what you should expect.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My understanding is that with goldfish, surface area is slightly more important than the amount of water in the tank, so a 20L is better than a 20H tank (long vs. high).

That would be awesome if Pom, Jr. grows that large! How fast do you think he'll grow by the way?

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Congrats on the upgrade!

If you want to narrow down what type of goldie Pom Jr is you could compare to pics on this site http://www.raingarden.us/goldfish.htm From your description I would guess "watonai" type though

I've got some of the common/hibuna and comet type (also walmart refugees). I've had mine about 4-5 months now and they have doubled in length so far.... a little over 2 inches now

mcsquizzy928

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i have 2 gold fish one fancy, the other had swimmbladder and was gold(stupid petsmart... not gonna buy from there anymore) and i have an oranda
they can live to be 10 years, and grow up to about 10inches (excellent care and water quality) do go crazy thinking you need a 100 gallon, but the rule for goldfish is 2 gallons per inch of fish (unless their babies) 3 inch fish should be at least 10 gallons cus it'll grow bigger

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i have 2 gold fish one fancy, the other had swimmbladder and was gold(stupid petsmart... not gonna buy from there anymore) and i have an oranda
they can live to be 10 years, and grow up to about 10inches (excellent care and water quality) do go crazy thinking you need a 100 gallon, but the rule for goldfish is 2 gallons per inch of fish (unless their babies) 3 inch fish should be at least 10 gallons cus it'll grow bigger
i respectfully disagree on the rule. i have only heard the 20 gallon for the first and an extra 10 gallons for each additional goldfish rule. making the minimum 20 gallons

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i respectfully disagree on the rule. i have only heard the 20 gallon for the first and an extra 10 gallons for each additional goldfish rule. making the minimum 20 gallons
I agree with that rule for the most part, but I have usually practiced something a little different:

I think 5-15 gallons per cubic inch of fish is good, as long as the fish has plenty of swimming room. When the goldfish is small you want to go more with 15 gallons per in.^3 and when it grows maybe 5 gallons per in.^3.

yukoandk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Congrats on your upgrade! Let's just agree on one important point--Pom Jr. is much happier now in his new home!

With goldfish, bigger tank's always better and easier to keep. You are right about the surface area--keep the water well circulated to encourage oxygen exchange. Now that Pom Jr. has lots of room and getting more food, I think he'll start to grow pretty fast. In warmer temperature (up to mid 70's) his metabolism will be higher which will contribute to growth paired with good nutrition. Don't push him too hard though--excessive measures to promote fast growth will be hard on his system and cause malfunctions of his organs. Keep his environment pleasant, pay attention to his dietary needs including lots of veges, and you can expect him to grow 1" per year easily.

Welcome to the forum!

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The long tanks are better than the high tanks mainly because it allows for more swimming room. Goldies swim from side to side so having more room is good.

From what I understand, Fantails are one of the smaller breeds of fancy goldfish but can still grow to about the size of a softball. They can also live 20 -30 years or more. You may want to start saving up for a nice 55 gallon setup. Eventually you may have room for that size and with a 55 (or even a 75) gallon tank, you could get 1-2 more fantails so they can keep each other company.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Original poster here! I'm looking at Pom Jr. tonight and ... well I don't know, it might just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but he seems to be putting on a little bulk!

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It could be that Pom Jr is just filling out now. Sometimes the fancy goldies don't get their full body shape until they are a bit older. Especially the fantails since they don't have quite so much of a pronounced body shape as some of the other fancies. I'm glad to hear that Pom Jr is doing well.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It could be that Pom Jr is just filling out now. Sometimes the fancy goldies don't get their full body shape until they are a bit older. Especially the fantails since they don't have quite so much of a pronounced body shape as some of the other fancies. I'm glad to hear that Pom Jr is doing well.
Considering that I kept him in a 5 gallon for eight months, maybe he is just loosening his belt so his internal organs have more room! When do you think he'll start getting longer?

Foolyfoo

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have 2 fantails in a 20 gall and they are very happy and healthy. Just make sure you have good filtration and low ammonia and they should be fine hope all goes well, goldfish are so much cooler then most people think

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom