Question Fancy Goldfish in 15 gallon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think it is too small. The minimum recommended is a 20 long, not just because of the bioload, but because of the footprint. I think a 15 is 24 inches (maybe?), but a 20 is 30 inches. Six inch difference is a lot of extra swim space.

If you have a fancy goldie in a 20, that's all you would have (bioload)

ViridiosExotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I thought the rule of thumb was 10 gallons per fancy and 20 gallons per singe tail, and then 10 gallons per additional fish?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nope, 20 gallons for the first fancy, then 10 gallons for each extra.

For non-fancy, some people say 30 minimum for one, but I've seen people on here say that even 40 isn't big enough for the entire life, and eventually they will still have to go into a pond.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMO a 29 is the minimum for a fancy. Even a 29 is tight when the fish is full grown.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
12+ inches without the tail. And that's just their length, it says nothing for their girth and these guys get to be pretty round. Just to give you an idea....

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it is too small. The minimum recommended is a 20 long, not just because of the bioload, but because of the footprint. I think a 15 is 24 inches (maybe?), but a 20 is 30 inches. Six inch difference is a lot of extra swim space.

If you have a fancy goldie in a 20, that's all you would have (bioload)
The 20g long is 24"L I think it's 24"12"16" maybe.

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good to know I thought my 20g was long style, obviously not.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A good way to tell if a tank will be big enough for the adult goldfish - take a 12 inch ruler and swim it around the tank. If it bumps into anything - the walls, the decorations, anything - then that tank is not big enough. Fancy goldfish can grow anywhere from 10 inches to 2 feet long. I believe the fantails are on the smaller end and grow to the 10 inch to 16 inch range. Also keep in mind that they are almost as tall and wide as they are long. Another good way to check size would be to use a volleyball, soccer ball, or basket ball to represent the adult fish. See how it moves and looks in the tank. In my opinion, a 29 (or 30) gallon tank would be the smallest for any fancy goldie. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank (longer and wider than deep) and I would not use it for single tail goldfish at all. They would not have swimming room. It would, however, comfortably hold one or two fantails - but that would be it.

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does anyone have pictures of these 12" fancies? I thought commons hit 12"+ and fancies were smaller.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Take a look at my thread [Gremlin's pond - again] and at the photos in my profile. You can see my goldfish. The majority of the larger ones started out as 'feeder' goldfish from WalMart and PetsMart. They are common/comet and some shubunkins. A nice little mix. Oh, and by the way, my sister has a pond also and her goldfish are about twice the size of mine. Since mine are about the 8 - 12 inch range you can imagine hers. I need to sneak over there with a 10 gallon tank and my camera and a net to get some pictures of hers. Some day...

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Commons/comets and that type I understand hitting a foot. But fantails, moors, oranda etc I haven't seen any that big.

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bruce the giant oranda goldfish

77.jpg

Last edited:

josaphene

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Take a look at my thread [Gremlin's pond - again] and at the photos in my profile. You can see my goldfish. The majority of the larger ones started out as 'feeder' goldfish from WalMart and PetsMart. They are common/comet and some shubunkins. A nice little mix. Oh, and by the way, my sister has a pond also and her goldfish are about twice the size of mine. Since mine are about the 8 - 12 inch range you can imagine hers. I need to sneak over there with a 10 gallon tank and my camera and a net to get some pictures of hers. Some day...
hi, i was wondering if you could help me out a little. seeing as you have the same fish as me. i have two common goldfish sid he is 6yrs old and 7inches nancy is 3 yrs old and is 5 inches we just got a new edition to the family 3-4wks ago a comet shes only small about 2-3inches theyr in a tank big enough its a big tank my partner got it im not sure what gallon it is but its way big enough for the 3 of them and more, anyway i noticed a couple of days ago that sid wasnt himself and had a couple of white patches on him on his scales so i though kp a v close eye incase its ich or hes wanting to mate? last night as i was walking past the tank i noticed lala (comet) biting sids tail and he flipped her away so i hid and watched and she was suckling onto his scales nibbling and biting so we have removed her and put her into a smaller tank its big enough for her on her own untill i buy a bigger tank monday. i didnt know if this was normal behaviour or if goldfish shed scales and others eat them or shes just a bit fiesty and bullying him? he seemed to just let her o it and hes alot bigger than her i say her i think shes a female as her stomachs bigger on one side? anyway will he be ok? he has a nasty patch on his face bless him he seems happier now shes gone and its just sid n nancy again, could he get an infection? is there anything i can use incase he does/ any help would be appreciated. im thinking of getting her another freind should i get another comet like her? i am new to this my partner isnt but im just trying to educate myslef as much a spossible. sorry for the essay lol. like i asid any advice would be very much appreciated, i feel sorry for the comet on her own and sid a she ahs alot of white patches. thanks. :-[

josaphene

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bruce the giant oranda goldfish

77.jpg
wow i ahve never ever seen those kind of fish so big!! thats amazing! well done to you. oh i hope my fish can reach a similar size i bet you have some size tank or pond lol! thats amazed me haha!

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ha ha! Bruce isn't mine, so I'm afraid I can't take any of the credit

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi, i was wondering if you could help me out a little. seeing as you have the same fish as me. i have two common goldfish sid he is 6yrs old and 7inches nancy is 3 yrs old and is 5 inches we just got a new edition to the family 3-4wks ago a comet shes only small about 2-3inches theyr in a tank big enough its a big tank my partner got it im not sure what gallon it is but its way big enough for the 3 of them and more, anyway i noticed a couple of days ago that sid wasnt himself and had a couple of white patches on him on his scales so i though kp a v close eye incase its ich or hes wanting to mate? last night as i was walking past the tank i noticed lala (comet) biting sids tail and he flipped her away so i hid and watched and she was suckling onto his scales nibbling and biting so we have removed her and put her into a smaller tank its big enough for her on her own untill i buy a bigger tank monday. i didnt know if this was normal behaviour or if goldfish shed scales and others eat them or shes just a bit fiesty and bullying him? he seemed to just let her o it and hes alot bigger than her i say her i think shes a female as her stomachs bigger on one side? anyway will he be ok? he has a nasty patch on his face bless him he seems happier now shes gone and its just sid n nancy again, could he get an infection? is there anything i can use incase he does/ any help would be appreciated. im thinking of getting her another freind should i get another comet like her? i am new to this my partner isnt but im just trying to educate myslef as much a spossible. sorry for the essay lol. like i asid any advice would be very much appreciated, i feel sorry for the comet on her own and sid a she ahs alot of white patches. thanks. :-[
In my opinion, commons and comets need to be in ponds so they have room to swim. Once they reach the 6-8 inch length, they really don't fit well in tanks. Are you sure that the new comet is a female? She may have something wrong if her stomach is bigger on just one side. That is not normal. Do you have pictures of all three of your goldies? As for the injuries, Melafix is a good all around medication for goldie injuries. That and nice clean water. If you can get fairly good side view pictures of all three of your goldies, I might be able to confirm male/female. If the new one is a male, and Sid is a male, then they may be fighting over territory and/or the female. A bit more information would be helpful...tank size, pictures, water readings...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom