Fancy Goldfish And Slim Bodied Goldfish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by HelvisGoldies, Jun 25, 2018.

?

I know this is silly but could this be the exception to 'don't keep fancies with slim goldfish'

1. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HelvisGoldies

HelvisGoldies Valued Member Member

Hi! I read everywhere that you should NEVER keep slim bodied goldfish with fancies. I keep fancy goldfish but I recently fell in love with a pair of old shubunkins at my local pet store that were up for adoption. Someone who worked there said they outgrew their tank and I believe they were stunted.

I read that the main 2 reasons to keep fancies separate from slim bodied goldfish is that the slim bodied fish will out compete for food and require more room.

I keep over 500 gallons of fancy goldfish tanks and ponds. I feed each of my Goldfish individually with gel food and a spoon. All of my setups are very understocked. I also read that they will chase the fancies. The fish that I fell in love with are females and small ones at that. Another is temperature difference, I keep my tanks at 72 degrees so I understand if this is warm for slim bodied goldfish. I know this is a shot in the dark and kind of silly. And lastly if I were to do this I'd keep them with my tough imported Ryukins in a 170 gal. But I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

2. skilletlicker

skilletlicker Valued Member Member

Hi Helvis.
    You should NEVER take advice containing the word NEVER. ;)

3. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

The out competing for food I’d true. But, as long as you make sure your fancies get their fair share, it’s fine. Male “slim” bodies can over harass a fancy female but you’ve got two girls in mind. You sound like you understand Goldie needs. You’ll be ok. And 72 degrees is ok. :)

4. GoldFiska

GoldFiska Well Known Member Member

Personally I think your fish will be fine.
    I keep my chubby chubby Ingot oranda with 2 slim bodied Jikins. You would expect that the jikins would outcompete the oranda for food, but it’s actually the other way around. My oranda is just as fast, if not faster, than my Jikins.

If you encounter problems you can always separate your fish, it seems like you have the resources and experience anyway and I trust your intuition.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice