Fan rusting

Asomeone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How have yall prevented rusting of components not made out of plastic? I use a computer fan with a metal cage around it to cool the tank. I have recently noticed the cage has started the process of rusting. My first idea was to cover the fan with a plexi sheet and cut holes in it to reduce the amount of water that splashed or evaporated into it...problem here is that i cant exactly prevent the internal components (which are likely copper wiring) from rusting. Is there fans on the market that overcome this?

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I bought an aquarium light a couple of years back with an adjustable gooseneck made of chromed steel. After 6 months the chrome had gone and everything started to rust. I contacted the seller who said it was my fault for using it in a damp environment. ( Surely an aquarium light should be suitable for a damp environment) but eventually they agreed to replace it. When the replacement arrived I rubbed it with a cloth soaked in melted petroleum jelly ( Vaseline ). It hasn't rusted at all since.
I don't know if this will work for you but it's a very cheap fix so it's worth a try.
I use petroleum jelly to Finish wood that I use in aquarium stands/ canopies and it gives a simple slightly glossy finish that is far better than varnish as it never peels and just requires a new coat every couple of years. ( This isn't a new idea, I got it from a woodworking book that was my grandfather's that recommended it for woodwork in damp conditions )

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine rusted and it was just what happened. I’m sure you can find a plastic one to replace it or just replace the fan entirely.

Asomeone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
saltwater60 said:
Mine rusted and it was just what happened. I’m sure you can find a plastic one to replace it or just replace the fan entirely.
While I can continuously replace the fan roughly every 6 months...This was more a question if there is any fans yall have used that have resisted rust over time.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There will be rust free fans especially for saltwater aquaria. I'd research along those lines. Aluminium does not rust so they may be made of that material. Just an idea, I have no expert knowledge and am just trying to be helpful.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Look for Stainless Steel parts.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
richie.p I think he has fans running over his tanks maybe he can share a pic and a link or name brand for you.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is the nearest thing your going to get,even then there will be places salt will penetrate into the electrics, everything here is plastic except the wiring and inner fan and no matter what you do salt will get in, i can change the fans cheaply if I need to.

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom