Fan for cooling axolotol tank

Mermish

Hi Everyone! I hope this is in the right place! I was bouncing around the idea of getting an axolotol for my 20 gallon aquarium. I have an unheated goldfish tank and I know that it's usually around 74 °f for reference. Would one of those fans you buy on Amazon be enough to keep it safe, or would it still be too hot? I know chillers are much more expensive and am not really hoping to get one at the moment. If the tank is to warm for axolotols, what other suggestions do you guys have? Are there any amphibians or freshwater crabs that can be kept with fish in a 20 gallon? Thanks!

FishDin

Would one of those fans you buy on Amazon be enough to keep it safe,
More details. Amazon sells a lot of fans.

briangcc1997

Small USB desk fan is probably cheaper and works just as well.

Did that to cool off my tank when it got way to warm....just opened the lids and blew across the water surface.

Mermish

Small USB desk fan is probably cheaper and works just as well.

Did that to cool off my tank when it got way to warm....just opened the lids and blew across the water surface.
Thanks! Would you reccomend a certain size fan? Do you run a fan for a certain number of hours? Do you feel like the temp was consistent enough? Should I buy a screen lid then so that the fan can cool the tank and there's no risk of an axolotol jumping out?

briangcc1997

I did this on a 75 gallon, non-axol, tank. Only had to run it for a few hours to drop the temps a few degrees. In theory, could run indefinitely as needed.

If there's a risk of the axol leaping for life, then a reptile lid might be in order. **I know nothing about keeping them other than my son wants one.

Look about 4 min in on this video...

**If not allowed, please feel free to remove.

SparkyJones

if it's normally 74F, you really need about 10-15 degrees cooler, not sure if even the chillers will get that much done.6 or 8 degrees yeah, but down to 65F or lower? I don't think so....

have you thought about, and hear me out I'm spitballing, like a 5000 BTU or less window A/C unit or small Ductless A/C, and building a housing/enclosure for the tank and using the small A/C unit to climate control the housing where the tank is kept? it would be like $100-$150 or so, , you can just cool the area where the tank is further as opposed to the whole room or whole house? or just keep the whole room at 59-65F. :)

I think this is your best bet long term for real temp control to the temps they want, and Axolotls are long term, they can live 10-15 years or more if well taken care of.

Anyways, just a thought
I looked at fans, and if the results are to be believed they are just as effective as chillers. (I'm doubting it, maybe 1 or 2 degrees cooler) and chillers get really expensive if you need more than 6 or 8 degrees.

small sized room A/Cs might be the way to go about it.

cjcummings

i used a PC case fan powered by a cable that allowed me to connect it to an outlet. Think it was like 1200 RPM only. blew it across the top of tank and it would drop the temps down 3 degrees Fahrenheit and sometimes more at night. Very helpful but the water evaporates much more quickly requiring more water topoffs. For a larger temp reduction like 10 degrees though....it's going to be tough using just fans.

Mermish

if it's normally 74F, you really need about 10-15 degrees cooler, not sure if even the chillers will get that much done.6 or 8 degrees yeah, but down to 65F or lower? I don't think so....

have you thought about, and hear me out I'm spitballing, like a 5000 BTU or less window A/C unit or small Ductless A/C, and building a housing/enclosure for the tank and using the small A/C unit to climate control the housing where the tank is kept? it would be like $100-$150 or so, , you can just cool the area where the tank is further as opposed to the whole room or whole house? or just keep the whole room at 59-65F. :)

I think this is your best bet long term for real temp control to the temps they want, and Axolotls are long term, they can live 10-15 years or more if well taken care of.

Anyways, just a thought
I looked at fans, and if the results are to be believed they are just as effective as chillers. (I'm doubting it, maybe 1 or 2 degrees cooler) and chillers get really expensive if you need more than 6 or 8 degrees.

small sized room A/Cs might be the way to go about it.
i used a PC case fan powered by a cable that allowed me to connect it to an outlet. Think it was like 1200 RPM only. blew it across the top of tank and it would drop the temps down 3 degrees Fahrenheit and sometimes more at night. Very helpful but the water evaporates much more quickly requiring more water topoffs. For a larger temp reduction like 10 degrees though....it's going to be tough using just fans.
Are there any other salamanders that are more heat tolerant? I don't really think I could cool the tank that much because it in a bedroom. If not, I'll just do a community or oddball tank, thanks!

FishDin

I usualy just grab any fan from around the house. I don't have a dedicated one. During summer heat I can reduce the temps by about 2 F. Not much at all really. My unheated tank gets to 80F in the summer and around 67F in winter.

A quick google brings up several that fit your temps. Try the forums that are dedicated to salamander and newts etc. like caudata.org

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rojer Ramjet
Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
Nickguy5467

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

We have gurus on all sorts of fish keeping subjects. Gurus are members that have shown great knowledge in a particular area. You have to get nominated by your fellow members and moderators have to approve guru nominations. To read more about the guru badges go here:
Guru Badge Info

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom