False julii cory losing barbels..again. Also another cory with purple gills

1. y

yuching New Member Member

Hey guys, I currently have 5 false julii cories, and two of them have been healthy for 5 months, two have been healthy for 3 months, and the most recent one I bought *was* healthy for 2 months, but now he's losing his barbels. They're definitely about half as long as they used to be, and frankly it's driving me crazy. I make 50% water changes every weekend, and I literally deep vacuum the entire floor during these changes (I take out all ornaments and plants to do this). There is not a single square cm of sand that goes unturned every week, and his barbels are still going. Help?? :( I have clove oil but am not thrilled at the prospect of using it. Strangely, all the older cories have very long, tapered barbels.

Also one of my older cories has gills that are somewhat more dark red/purple when compared to the other cories, and she's had it for months, but she's still the biggest eater in the group. Is this any cause for concern and should I dose some Melafix just in case?

Tank Info
    • 15 gallons
    • Aquaclear 20
    • 5 false julii cories
    • 2 large anubias, 2 large java fern
    • 0 ammonia
    • 0 nitrite
    • 10-20 nitrate (it's about 10 straight out of the tap)
    • pH: 7.4
    • Pool filter sand substrate

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you attach pics?

As long as they're eating and swimming, I wouldn't resort to euthanasia.

Is the sand sharp maybe? PFS shouldn't be, but just to make sure.

It wouldn't hurt to move to 50% twice weekly for a few weeks to see if that helps, thoughyour water parameters are good.

3. R

Rachel7080 New Member Member

Hey there! I added a product called algone to my filter and it removed the residual nitrates in my tank. They are small pouches so you just drop it in your filter and leave it there. No matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of the last bit of nitrate because of the water and this did the trick. Even though you are in a safety level for nitrates, it could be affecting your newest cory since he hasn't lived in those conditions as long, also he may be still a baby and it doesn't take as much for him to show stress. I'd also check to see if you have some d├ęcor that have sharper edges, esp. if that cory likes to play on it. I know mine "noodle" over everything.

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry Rachel bit I disagree.
    Nitrates (and certainly not this levels) don't affect Corys or their barbels.
    There are two possible causes in my opinion : ammonia/nitrites or (most common) a bacterial infection. There are several possible causes that make them.vunerable for bacterial infections as sharp gravel/sand that cuts their barbels, a bad diet, another kind of infection, low maintenance (that often comes with high nitrates !). I also have a suspecion about calcium leaking substrates (like argonite).

I'd use a strong antibacterial med or antibiotic if available. Only euthanise when it stops eating, starts struggling aso.

What are they fed?

5. DarkDroid

DarkDroid Valued Member Member

Most of my false Julli have list their barbs. I'm my case I have soft gravel but am having a bad outbreak of diatoms covering my gravel. I think that the rough texture of the diatoms has caused the damage.

6. DoubleDutch

I seriously doubt diatoms are culprit.

7. OP
    OP
    y

Thanks for replies, guys. I will try to get a picture, but the cory looks very, very normal compared to all the other ones, save for its shorter barbels.

I feed them hikari sinking wafers, and I've fed them live brine shrimp (after rinsing off the salt water) for two weeks out of the past six months. I was considering an antibacterial, but I'm pretty hesitant about using something stronger when the other 4 cories are fine. I have a cycled 5-gallon quarantine tank, but I'm also hesitant about stressing out the little guy by isolating him.

I had BDBS for 2 weeks a few months ago before I bought the currently-sick cory, but I quickly changed to PFS because I feel that it's not sharp (BDBS had shards which I didn't want my cories' filtering through). I'm absolutely positive that the decorations in my tank are not sharp because I've sanded them all down for a betta fish that used to be in the tank.

8. OP
    OP
    y

Here is a video of the cory with shorter barbels. They used to taper off very gradually, but now they definitely don't.[video]https://youtu.be/HD2Xo8AUKOU[/video]

9. DoubleDutch

To be honest I doubt there is something wrong with this fish. Think the other one (passing by) is a C102 (other species / type) that could show longer barbels than the other one !!
    They are looking in great shape.

10. OP
    OP
    y

Hmmm ok. His barbels just used to be like the other four cories', so I'm worried for him. =/ I guess I'll just keep making sure the sand is extremely clean and maybe only isolate him if he's showing signs of struggle.

And lol, the bigger cory was always a little different looking, but I assumed it was because he was ugly (less striking pattern) and unwanted that he showed up at Petco being already full-grown, but it's possible he was wild-caught and categorized as the wrong species. Hopefully he feels safe enough schooling with false juliis.

11. DoubleDutch

Yep, I'd go that way !!

The other Cory will be allright (is looking great too).