False Julii Cory died before getting home :(

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by 3aquariums, Dec 10, 2012.

1. 3

3aquariums Valued Member Member

It was a Petco Fish. The other F Julii looks fine. I don't know if they guy just caught the easiest ones or not. They have them labeled as Julii cories of course. I guess I should wait and see if the other one has a problem over the week and then return the dead one this weekend. I should call up the local Petsmart and see if they carry false Julii cories, if they know what I'm talking about.

2. F

Faber1790 Valued Member Member

I've had super bad luck with petco fish. Specifically the false juliis. Of the six I bought (at different times in the last month) only one has survived. Two died before I got home (10 minute car trip) and another died a day later. I lost one to ick and the last got a bump on his head and I euthanized him when he could no longer swim :(. Unfortunately my local petsmart is worse and the fact they hold goldfish and tropicals together gives me a twitch anytime I go in.

3. OP
    OP

My first batch was 5, one of them died. A month later my second batch was 2, 1 of which died in the car. Stupid Petco.

4. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Good luck with your other cory. I hope he'll be ok.

5. OP
    OP

There aren't any obvious physical problems with either of them. I don't even know what to treat for.

6. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

That can be really frustrating when you don't even have any clues to go by. Beyond the obvious poor stock/care issue with some of the chain stores I'm not sure what it could've been. I've never had a fish die in the bag, thats crazy!

All I can do is recommend purchasing fish from reputable breeders/sources. Since I've begun this practice I went from about 70% survival rate for new fish to pretty much 100% survival from good sources, my only losses have been when a package was lost in the mail.

7. OP
    OP

Are the shipping charges high when you are ordering only 3-4 fish? Thats what's stopping me from ordering online at live aquaria.com. Are there other places with better rates?

8. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I don't purchase from liveaquaria, I mostly use members or breeders, member RogueAgent can get pretty much anything and all fish I've got through him have thrived. Shipping can vary, in the US I usually pay about $15, if the fish are coming from another country then its more like $30. I pay that much shipping ordering small numbers of fish.

Since I haven't purchased from them i can't directly discredit liveaquaria but I have read of members recieving dead fish or having problems with fish aquired through them.

I think about it like this, I would much rather spend some more up front and be able to enjoy my fish instead of getting them for cheap and having to medicate and worry about them and any disease they might have.

9. OP
    OP

The petsmart near work actually has healthy looking fish, so I bought some "julii" corys from them yesterday. That brings my total up to 8. (5 -1 died + 2 -1 died +3 = 8 ~75% survival rate)

I need to post more so the next tank can be stock from forum members

10. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

It won't take long at all to get to 50 posts :) I've also gotten a lot of fish from Rogue. I had terrible luck with LFS cories (though I was getting green ones) so I gave up and decided to never buy pet store fish again.

11. OP
    OP

I was just looking for him in the members list but couldn't find him. I'm sure he's there someplace.

12. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

His full name is RogueAgent94. Once you have 50 posts you can PM people, and if you start typing his name in the "names" spot it'll pop up. :) I'll send him a link to this thread so he can post and you can find him.

13. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Once you get the 50 post rule...another person besides RogueAgent94 is Harpua2002

14. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Tehe, HERE I AM!

15. OP
    OP

Hi There!

16. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Hiya :).

Sorry to hear you've been loosing corries. Sucks when that happens. I also do not buy from local pet stores anymore. So much easier just to import fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice