False Julie Cory and julie cory sick? What's wrong?

1. Theevilseamonster Initiate Member

Hello, so I currently have 2 three stripe Cory's and 1 Julie Cory housed in a 13 gallon tank. I have been planning to move them too a 29 gallon tank but they started acting strange recently so I decided to delay that move. They are still young and have not reached their adult size. Anyway, one of the 3 stripes and the julie cory have been very lethargic lately. The Julie more then the 3 stripe. It is very strange to me because they were active one morning, swimming about as usual, and then sluggish the following night. They have been this way for a few days....I do not know what is the matter. I have noticed though that their barbels are basically stubs if not a little bigger and have begun to treat them with stress coat because I have read that it helps them grow their barbels back. Does anyone know what might be the matter? I will attach some pictures so that you can see what I'm talking about. Also, the one who is lying next the the rock near the glass looks dead but he's alive. That particular fish really surprises me because just this morning he was active and normal. I really want to help and save my little guys, any help would be appreciated, thank you.

ALSO I JUST SAW THE ONE THAT I THOUGHT WAS OK KINDA RUBBING UP ON THINGS. DO THEY HAVE A PARASITE? I do not see any bloating or anything. They are not really eating their food though. I have some general cure medicine for parasites as well as some ich medicine(however they don't exhibit white dots) what do you think I should do? Ohh I'm freaking out!!

The fish in the background is the one that's acting normal. The other two you will see are the ones that I am worried about.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406786690.418073.jpg

This is the one that I thought was dead when I first saw it. He is breathing though. Also they are not gasping for air or anything.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406786903.833942.jpg

This Cory was the newest addition. I got him about a week ago and he was the first to show more severe symptoms.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406786971.923599.jpg

I threw this one in so that you can see their barbels. This is also the normal fish.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406787055.990236.jpg

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Barbel loss is often a sign of nitrite poisoning, have you tested your water?
    It can also be caused by excessive wear on sharp gravel either way it leads to secondary infection, you need to get an antibacterial medication, Melafix is often used here I don't know if it's available there hopefully someone will know.
    Sorry to say two of them don't look too good, hope they make it.

3. Theevilseamonster Initiate Member

I'm currently waiting the 5 minutes for the test to develop. The last time I tested my results were:
    Ph: 7.6
    Ammonia: .25-0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 15ppm

I will get ahold of that as soon as possible. I really hope they make it. Is there anything you can say on the scratching?

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If it's only an occasional flicking then they could be just getting rid of an irritation like us scratching an itch, mine do it from time to time.
    Just keep an eye on them & if they're doing it a lot it could be the starting signs of Ich.

5. Theevilseamonster Initiate Member

Ok, thank you very much. Would you recommend stress coat to help them with their barbels?

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I wouldn't use it while using the anti bacterial meds, if they make it then you could use it along with keeping the water pristine

7. Theevilseamonster Initiate Member

Ok, thank you very much for the advice

My nitrite is at 0ppm
    Nitrate somewhere from 5-20ppm
    Ammonia: .25ppm
    Ph: between 7.2 and 7.6

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I think the small tank, the substrate (food will be unreachable and decaying) and probably the diet (what are you feeding them) is the cause. Waterquality in (too) small tanks deteriorates in an eyeblink. The bigger the better in these cases !!!

9. Theevilseamonster Initiate Member

I was going to move them into a bigger tank(29 gallons and they would be in the company of 4 other cory fish) but they started acting oddly so I decided to wait in case they had something contagious that would affect the other Cory's. I am feeding them Algae Thins and they seem to love them. They usually eat most of it in a day and I don't think too much sinks into the gravel. If it does I clean it out. I do weekly water changes and test my water Nd try to give them a good environment to live in, I am only a beginner though so any advice is appreciated. What would you suggest I do to help them get better/avoid situations like these?

10. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hello, I've deleted your other thread in the corydoras section of the forum, please only use this thread so not to confuse members. Thanks.

11. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Corys are not algae eaters, they're 95% carnivores so they need a catfish pellet & frozen or live food such as bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp etc, they'd also appreciate a sand substrate rather than gravel as they feed by taking in mouthfuls of sand filtering it through their gills to get particles of food

12. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Exactly !!! Looking at the shape of the fish they have what I call "algaewafer syndrom".
    Bent back, "large" eyes, no fat on their body. They become vunerable for all kind of infections. Try to fatten them up with live / frozen food and keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite. Move them to a bigger tank with smaller gravel or sand as soon as possible.

13. Theevilseamonster Initiate Member

I will do that right away! Gosh I feel so bad for doing this to them. Thank you for the help and I will work on getting a sand substrate for my other tank and pick up some appropriate food today.

14. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Great !!!