Fake Plants Question

1. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Where are people getting these gorgeous vines, etc in their tanks?

I would love to put some foliage into the upper half of my tank while I wait for existing plant life to grow out bb836c6516554ef3d8a04110311ad6e5.jpg

2. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

A lot of people use silk plants in their tanks. I think they carry a selection in the reptile section of the pet store.

3. James17 Well Known Member Member

Most of us grow real ones. :) Try it, it's aggravating and fun at the same time.

4. SixThreeOh Member Member

Not all of us are allowed real plants though.

5. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

I have Amazon sword, peace lily, Anubis and some rapidly melting java fern. A few bamboo as well

The trick is tall, floating stuff for the back/top that will still let light down to the swords

I tried Val's and they all died....all 14 of them

Moneywort died too

The wisteria is melted away

So now I'm looking for other options to provide tall cover in the background

6. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

I bought what I thought was Ludwigia repens turns out it was Rotala Indica. It took off in my tank. Pic 1 first planted - pic 2 right before gardening.

April 2017.jpg June Before Gardening.jpg

About 7 weeks growth. I did some trimming about 3 weeks ago. Here's a pic.

June After Gardening.jpg

7. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Not sure what you mean by vines? For some easy coverage on the wood you can use moss, I recommend christmas moss.

Also if that is lucky bamboo the tops and the leaves need to be out of the water

8. James17 Well Known Member Member

If Wysteria is melting, do you have enough lights, I can't kill that stuff, I throw away tons every couple months.

9. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

I have a new 5000k bulb but there are tannins in the water? I never had trouble in my old 29, with just a plain worn out T8 strip so I wonder if the light wasn't reaching the bottom in the darker water

By vines, I mean the silk ivy that some people have in their Betta tanks, or perhaps a pothos plant, I see those growing from tops of tanks and the roots offer shelter for the fish....not sure how that works logistically does it float?

My local selection of plants has been limited to the following

Anubis -grows well
    Wisteria when I can find it
    Once I found Val's
    Plenty of swords to be found, and peace lily is being sold as a sword by one store-I have both
    Hornwort (hates my warm tanks)
    Dwarf sag, if I want to pay $10/plant
    Java fern and moss -those are ok in my small tanks but melt in the big one
    Ludwiga repens (melted away to nothing)
    Moneywort (rotted and went fuzzy)

Here are a couple of pictures of the current living plants-obviously I do prefer those, if I can get them going 5b36ef417ceb358fbe467d2231fcee97.jpg 70f3a0131f3349c49862e982b5986037.jpg young swords 2b265dd28540698283bb6644a9d5f3bd.jpg peace lily (Brazilian sword lol) 40a8875f82d0df860486db288b6c256a.jpg java fern 419057a8eadbd131572617bdae080121.jpg 3cuttings of Anubis and the bamboo

The bamboo was tossed in to fill space while I decide what to put in that spot-it was immersed at the store and doing well but I know that it's a matter of time before it rots

10. dartzy Member Member

@sassymomma. Can I ask, what are the green fruit baskets for? Tank looks great, btw.

11. minervalong Well Known Member Member

To use pothos is easy. Get yourself a plant, remove it from the container it came in and shake some of the dirt off. Put it in a container that holds water and fill to bottom of leaves with water. Every three or four days, take something and stir the roots around, pour off about half of the water and dirt. refill with tank water. Do this for two weeks so that the plant gets used to feeding from water not dirt. Take the pothos, make sure there is no dirt clinging to the roots and plunk the roots through an opening in your lid. If you don't have a lid, rig something so that the roots are in the water and the leaves are above.
    I use it for nitrate removal, tank shade and stuck the roots over the output on the filter to break up the flow.

12. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

The baskets provide surface cover, until I get a plant or something growing up top. I was counting on my Val's to offer that, when I set up the tank and bought the girls, but they melted so I improvised lol. There are holes in each side of the baskets, and they weave in and out