fake plants

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
In my tank I have 2 live plants and a fake plant. The 2 live plants are doing well.

For some reason though, the tips of the leaves of the fake plant is turning brown. Anyone know why? Should I take it out and buy some new ones?

Thanks
Gwenz

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ohhhhhhhh, you're supposed to clean them...
The brown stuff is probably some sort of algae. My fake plants have gotten really dirty, but of course I wouldn't think to clean them. : Do you have to though? I actually think they look better, more natural, with algae on them.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
LOL, the brownish patches on your fake plant are algae I know this because in the past when I had only fake plants, and no live ones, I had the same problem. You should clean them every once in a while - that's all. The reason algae often start growing on fake plants is that they're not a very accessible place for an algae eater to clean them. It's much easier for an algae eater to eat algae off the glass rather thank off a fake plant. So, as a result, you end up having algae growing on fake plants but not on the glass or anywhere else in a tank.

newbie101

Well Known
Reaction score
fake plants are algae MAGNETS!!!!! it is really annoying, they collect algae really fast! Grgh....

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yep they get algae really bad. This is what I do, swish them in plain water to get any debris off of them. Then soak them in a bleach solution for about an hour. Then rinse in tap water to get most of the bleach solution off and then soak in a dish full of heavily dechlorinated water for about an hour. if they still smell like bleach when you take them out soak a little longer in dechlorinated water.
This will kill any beneficial bacteria growing on the artificial plants. I only have a couple of them, but if you have a whole tank full , don't do the whole tankfull at one time.
Carol

New Threads