Fake plants or Live plants Question 

Pebbels

Valued Member
Reaction score
What's ur opinion??

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I prefer live. They dont take up as much swim space as fake ones do.

MissPanda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Live all the way, cant stand the look of fake plants personally. Plus live has so many benefits.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There's only one downside to live plants.

If you ever choose to get an apple snail or buy an apple snail sold as a mystery snail.

Then you got no choice in the matter because they will eat them all and it becomes an expensive buffet for the snail

TheDitherFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

peddidle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like both. I like the natural look of live plants, but I also like the really cheesy fake plant look. I like how live plants grow and change, but I like the ease of redecorating fake stuff. Both types of tanks seem to present their own benefits and challenges, and you may notice those benefits and challenges more depending on what type of fish you keep, how heavily you decorate, your source water (such as high phosphate), and so on.

Attachments

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
peddidle said:
I like both. I like the natural look of live plants, but I also like the really cheesy fake plant look. I like how live plants grow and change, but I like the ease of redecorating fake stuff. Both types of tanks seem to present their own benefits and challenges, and you may notice those benefits and challenges more depending on what type of fish you keep, how heavily you decorate, your source water (such as high phosphate), and so on.
I showed my husband that bonsai one. Its very well done. Bright. But well done.

Cgtoxic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
live plants

GlennO

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I prefer live plants for the most natural look though in the past I have successfully mixed in some good quality fake plants with live ones and many people when asked couldn't tell which ones were fake and which were real.

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Live. Plastic ones don't help remove nitrates, and I enjoy watching them grow.

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like live, but they are more work. I find it more difficult to keep the plants healthy than the fish.

KingJamal2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

Dennis57

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Live all the way. Do they still make plastic ones ;)

YellowGuppy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Plastic plants don't quadruple in value every month or two. A good colony of moss can, though!

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

yeti79

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Live is my choice. They do require more time and care in most cases but ends up being much more rewarding. Plastic and silk are still useful however especially those without a green thumb.

Ebreus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've kept potted plants for as long as I can remember and gotten reasonably good at keeping plants alive in that time. So for me it was an easy choice: live plants. I enjoy watching them thrive in my tank nearly as much as I do the fish.
My Anacharis gains a few inches almost every time I take a look at it, now if only my Java Moss & Ferns had similar growth... I thought they were suppose to be the fast growers out of what I've got so far.
Yes, more care has to be put into the tank in general and the plants specifically with them being alive but to me that just makes it more rewarding.

sto0ka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

KinderScout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
live but be prepared to do more gardening in your living room than in your garden! :/

ghostdawg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Since I'm new, I went with fake...seems like a lot of work keeping live plants going, keeping the fish is more work then I expected. Maybe in the future I'll try live! :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom