Fake plants in cycling aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobho

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My husband and I are finally at the stage of fishless cycling where the nitrites are just beginning to show up (we're using shrimp as the ammonia source).

He bought a plastic plant from the fish store today and put it in the tank. He thought that because it was packaged it didn't need to be rinsed.

He didn't look at the back of the package, where of course the first direction was to rinse the plant thoroughly.

Does anyone know if this will interrupt our cycling (it's taken us two months to get the nitrites started and they just started today) or if it will affect the fish we put in when the cycling is finished?

I'm afraid we might have to start over again, because I don't know what is on a new plastic plant that requires it to be rinsed.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Bobho and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I think you'll be fine. I know I've added plastic plants to my tanks before rinsing (oops!) and I didn't have any issues.

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome!

Congrats on a fishless cycle. I too have made that mistake and put in a fake plant forgetting to rinse it. The reason for the rimse really is to get rid of any dust or otherwise etc that could get in the tank and harm the fish.

Really, it shouldn't cause much of a prob at all. You can give it a rinse now if you like, but it's already been in the tank. Keep an eye on your tank parameters and hey, you won't do it again at least (I know I've not!)

EDIT: Ninja'd by Ken!!

Zenial

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The idea behind rinsing plastic plants it to remove any surface toxins which have been released by the plastic. Can't imagine anything bad will happen though.

Personally, I like to be a little obsessive: rinse/wash/soak/scrub EVERYTHING when it initially enters the tank (oh, except the fish )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom