Fake coral

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just received a nice fake coral from starfishhandseashells.com, I missed a note that said it was safe for saltwater. I've had it in my freshwater 55 gallon tank for 4 days, no fish in tank doing fishless cycle. Is it dangerous to have this in my tank. I shelled out 85 bucks for this and it looks beautiful in my tank.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello dfisherman,

Fake coral should be fine to my knowledge. Depending on what type of fish you want to keep, I don't know what the edges of it are like. It wouldn't be any different than adding any other aquarium ornament.

Photo please :camera:

Ken

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
With more research found out it is natural decorative coral. What will that do to a freshwater tank?

I got excited when I found a branch coral from Starfishandseashells .com. I had it it my 55 gal freshwater tank for 5 days and PH stayed steady at around 7.6. Found out today it is for saltwater tanks only. Is the PH the only thing that would effect my tank? My tap PH is very low 6.0. And Hardness is 1. With coral in tank PH was up and harness rose to 7. I'm in a fishless cycle now and took it out. But would it be dangerous to use this lovely branch coral.

Merged back to back posts.
Ken

Attachments

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It should be fine. I use both crushed coral and fossilized coral in many of my tanks to keep my PH higher.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey dfish, sorry you've had to wait for so long for a reply.

If you have very low pH as suggested, then I would leave the coral in. Coral (well more specifically crushed coral) is actually one of the recommended natural products for raising pH.

What you have to make sure of is that the tank stays stable at 7.6. Given you're still cycling the tank, it's hard to say if it will stay this way, as pH tends to swing around while cycling.

If you can keep the tank stable at 7.6 then that should be fine.

When you say hardness is at 7, are you referring to KH or GH? 7 degrees is still considered to be soft water conditions, and IMO, as long as you slowly acclimate your fish, you should be fine leaving the coral in there. If KH is at 7, then that will also buffer you quite well when introducing fresh water.

I'm not sure if the coral would affect salinity, I wouldn't think so

Hope that helps.

BTW - very good looking tank

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have merged your threads since they are dealing with the same piece of coral. It will be a lot less confusing to other members.

Thanks!
Ken

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it is fake it made from plastic and should do nothing to the tank at all. but if it is dead coral thats a diff story it will raise the ph

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
7 degrees is gh, kh is 3 with coral. Also done a vinegar test and it foams.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sorry to say...if it foams it really should not be in a freshwater tank. jmho

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
dfisherman said:
7 degrees is gh, kh is 3 with coral. Also done a vinegar test and it foams.
That's because of the carbonate content, the vinegar reacts with it, hence why we use the test to determine if a rock etc is likely to raise pH.

I think as long as the tank remains stable you should be fine. Saltwater is pH 8.2, so as long as your coral doesn't keep raising pH, then IMO it's fine, and the best way to get your pH up from 6.0 (as stated in OP)

You'll see through out these forums the recommendation to add crushed coral to increase pH (and KH)

I keep my Freshwater at pH 7.2 (was 7.4 before CO2), with GH at 7-8 degrees and KH 3 degrees.

edit: From memory, the old homemade Rocket uses the reaction of vinegar/bi-carb soda as it's fuel, or is it the errupting volcano? [but that was a long time ago in high school chemistry, so I could be wrong]

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I found some beautiful resin coral from seaside inspired they said could be used in freshwater tank. Going to use natural coral for decoration on shelf over tank.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads