Fairly New 10 Gallon Question!

The fish wanderer
Hey everyone at FL!

I have a few questions for you all!!!

I've had my 10 gallon started up for about 2 months now and have had ups and downs with it! I set it up initially with live plants, 6 guppies (all put in at different times and all different colors of fancies) 2 half grown emerald corycats, and 2 baby albino corycats.

I recently had a nitrite and nitrate spike and it killed off all my guppies. The LFS didn't really give me any good pointers for starting this tank off. Use this and this and add fish at this time and you're good. I had the tank for a week, with plants, conditioned water, filter etc. I have finally got my spike back to normal and my existing cory's are doing fine.

I recently added 5 neon tetra to the tank but they are pretty boring. My buddy is going to take them off my hands tonight so I have spare room left. I could I put in there next? With the 4 cory's I know I'm pushing room. Should I give him my 2 albino as well and get some Scarlet Badi, dwarf suckers, honey gourami, or anything else?

trash.binh91
Oh, you could put two honey gouramis in there, or you could get a few mollies or platys, but I’m just a beginner, so.....

75g Discus Tank
The cories need a larger tank IMO.
I would rehome all of them.

I would cycle the tank before talking about stocking.

The fish wanderer
The cories need a larger tank IMO.
I would rehome all of them.

I would cycle the tank before talking about stocking.
Now what would you suggest starting in my 10?

75g Discus Tank
In a 10 gallon, a betta is a very popular option as they are hardy, colorful, and you can save an abused fish.
They are also very personable.

There is a 10 gallon stocking list on the site ------->Stocking List for 10 Gallons

The fish wanderer
In a 10 gallon, a betta is a very popular option as they are hardy, colorful, and you can save an abused fish.

There is a 10 gallon stocking list on the site ------->Stocking List for 10 Gallons
Yea I don't want a single betta so that's the problem.

N8_the_Gr8
Maybe you could get some green neons and some otos.

The fish wanderer

I notice that the list says some fish you can have 12 and 14. That would be only 12 of one kind in a 10?

N8_the_Gr8
Yes but you can change the numbers so you could drop 5 green neons for 5 otos but it would be a good idea to stay in the range of 5+ in a school at the LEAST.

Bettafishies126
Bettas can be a great centerpiece for a community tank if the one you get has the personality for it

N8_the_Gr8
I would give all your Cory’s away unfortunately because they can’t be in numbers of less than 5 neither can they fit in your tank. I have schooled C. Paleatus with C. SterbaI before and it works.

Bettas can be a great centerpiece for a community tank if the one you get has the personality for it
Bettas and Platys or mollies are a good betta community tank.

75g Discus Tank
I wouldn't do a community tank in a 10 gallon with a betta.

For bettas, you can have:
1x betta
5x Ghost shrimp
2x nerite snails

The fish wanderer
Thanks for the advice everyone!! I don't want to go the betta route but I'd love to do maybe a 5 and 5.... can I add some dwarf suckers in there if I did 5 and 5?

Can I do 5 guppies 1 Scarlet BadI 1 honey gourami and a few neon with a shrimp?

UglyAsian
First you need to rehome the fish. If you believe you can do it 1-2 pea puffers will work. If that isn't fun, you can do a nice shrimp tank heavily planted.

Can I do 5 guppies 1 Scarlet BadI 1 honey gourami and a few neon with a shrimp?
That is overstocked.

The fish wanderer
What can go with a honey gour and a Scarlet then?

N8_the_Gr8
4 guppies 1 honey and a Scarlet badis wouldn’t be overstocked. It is just barely 90 percent stocked.

MaximumRide14
4 guppies 1 honey and a Scarlet badis wouldn’t be overstocked. It is just barely 90 percent stocked.

I am just going to add that Scarlet Badis require a variety of frozen and live foods like bloodworms, black worms, brine shrimp, etc. they usually won’t accept flakes or pellets. Also, I know honey gouramis prefer to live in groups, as they are quite shy, but I don’t think there would be space for that with the guppies. But I have heard of honeys and guppies together in a ten gallon before. When you say 90%, did you use a fish stocking calculator online for that?

Ariel4891
Hey everyone at FL!

I have a few questions for you all!!!

I've had my 10 gallon started up for about 2 months now and have had ups and downs with it! I set it up initially with live plants, 6 guppies (all put in at different times and all different colors of fancies) 2 half grown emerald corycats, and 2 baby albino corycats.

I recently had a nitrite and nitrate spike and it killed off all my guppies. The LFS didn't really give me any good pointers for starting this tank off. Use this and this and add fish at this time and you're good. I had the tank for a week, with plants, conditioned water, filter etc. I have finally got my spike back to normal and my existing cory's are doing fine.

I recently added 5 neon tetra to the tank but they are pretty boring. My buddy is going to take them off my hands tonight so I have spare room left. I could I put in there next? With the 4 cory's I know I'm pushing room. Should I give him my 2 albino as well and get some Scarlet Badi, dwarf suckers, honey gourami, or anything else?

I tried to squeeze 6 corys in a ten gallon once, and I felt bad for them since it was a small tank. Now I have 8 in a 29 gal. Plus, cory's are schooling fish and you want them to be in a group of at least 6 of the same kind to be happy

N8_the_Gr8
No stocking calculator. Just an estimate.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Phil4Fish
Replies
Views
Keyhole
Replies
Views
WeeBay
Replies
Views