Failed to stop unknown illness :(

Fish20G

Hi, again everyone!

Well, I had my first fish pass away in about 18 months.

I've recently re-stocked to 5 serpae tetras (or what I thought were serpaes) and was in the process of letting them settle in before adding a second group. It's been about two weeks since getting back up to 5 and since then I realized one of them is not actually a serpae, but is very similar. Which was no big deal because he was hanging out just fine with the rest of the group. In fact, one of my kids said it was fine because he was the first one to welcome the new guys over to the pineapple.

Anyway, three days ago, I realized the "almost-a-serpae" was hanging out near the bottom all the time. Then he stopped eating. Then I noticed it seemed like he had something white protruding out underneath him that seemed to continue on up inside the belly. I made an educated guess at internal parasite and treated with API General Cure on Friday night. No improvement Saturday morning. Came back from an outing Saturday afternoon and he had died.

The other fish look better than ever. Very active and they were fine during all of this.

I'm thinking now I should do a water change, put the carbon back in, and cancel the second dose. Does that seem right? I guess I'll also wait until next weekend before adding a second group of fish... which I'm still undecided about anyway!

A second related topic: I added API aquarium salt in a low dose as well. I've had good luck with it in the distant past for seeming to generally improve things. Wondering what people think about it.

Thank you all :)

Rose of Sharon

Hi,

Sorry about your fish! So sad! :(

I think that I would do a big water change, vacuum the gravel/substrate in case there were parasites that feel to the bottom of the tank (just to be safe), and put your carbon back into your filter.

I would also keep a very close eye on all of the tank's inhabitants for the next few days to make sure what your little guy/girl had is not catching.

As far aquarium salt, I do use it only when I really need it, and never for more than 2 weeks at a time. I do find it beneficial for fin rot, injuries, and the like. I know that some people salt their tanks for general health purposes, but aquarium salt can be like antibiotics - too much use makes it totally ineffective.

Good luck with the rest of your fin babies!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
kdsm0527
Replies
Views
laura28
Replies
Views