Faded Clown Loach

TheYesMan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hi,

So I have a clown loach that I've kept with 5 tiger barbs and a angelfish and a BGK, none of which have bothered him as far as I know.
Never have he had his color / stripes faded and I'm getting worried, I moved him to another tank which is smaller (from a 30g to a 7g) which has a few tetras (about 10).
I don't think the water has affected him as I never had that issue before and stress I can cross out since he's ''accepted'' into the group of Tiger barbs.
Could it be malnutrition? I'm really worried about the poor fella

Puck44

Valued Member
Reaction score
What are the tank parameters? What do you feed him?
How long ago did you get him?
Hopefully someone who knows more will come in to the thread.

TheYesMan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
pH is about 7, the others I don't know but I would say that Nitrate and nitrite are relatively low as no other fish is being affected, ammonia might be slightly higher due to organic matter laying about.
I got him a few months back. I feed him and the others mostly bloodworms, but I do add in some flakes here and there under the day to keep them from snacking on my plants.
Other than that I usually feed a decent chunk of bloodworms (just enough to feed all of them) about 7-8 PM.

TheYesMan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've read online that clown loaches should be fine with schools that are alike, such as tiger barbs, and there I do have 6 (with him), I keep the little guy (2 inches) in a 30G and I moved him temporarily into a 7g for him to recover as I suspected it to be malnutrition that could've caused the fade and decrease in activity.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No, they really should be in groups of their own species - other species aren't good enough.

I would get a liquid test kit so you can test your water. In the mean time, I'd take some of your water to the LFS and have them test it. Water quality could easily be the issue - clown loaches are sensitive to water quality.

Bloodworms aren't a good main component of the diet, so malnutrition could also be the issue. Feed a quality flake or pellet for the majority of the diet - bloodworms are a good treat once or twice a week.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No, they really should be in groups of their own species - other species aren't good enough.

I would get a liquid test kit so you can test your water. In the mean time, I'd take some of your water to the LFS and have them test it. Water quality could easily be the issue - clown loaches are sensitive to water quality.

Bloodworms aren't a good main component of the diet, so malnutrition could also be the issue. Feed a quality flake or pellet for the majority of the diet - bloodworms are a good treat once or twice a week.
I like Omega One and NLS for my food.

Look for foods with higher protein. I've heard Hikari sinking wafers.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The most likely source of problems in this situation is water quality and I would suggest testing the water and obtaining figures for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate as a first step.

I believe that most of the 50 million Clown Loaches exported annually from the wild perish in small tanks.

Clown Loaches should be kept in social groups of their own kind in suitably sized large aquaria.

The minimum number would be six.

The minimum tank size would be 72" x 24" x 24" = 130 uk gallon / 160 us gallon/ 600 litre (approx).

I believe that in the right conditions and fed a varied diet females will reach up to a foot long, males six inches and they are robust fish living up to thirty years of age.

TheYesMan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, can I have them in a small group of 3/-4? Athe biggest aquarium I have is 30g it won't be suitable for the long term, the one I have is currently about 2 inches and looks fine now, I tested the water and everything is fine. I feed them TetraMin Granules everyday but also bloodworms for the other species. If this won't do I will give him to my nearest LFS for his own sake.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, can I have them in a small group of 3/-4? Athe biggest aquarium I have is 30g it won't be suitable for the long term, the one I have is currently about 2 inches and looks fine now, I tested the water and everything is fine. I feed them TetraMin Granules everyday but also bloodworms for the other species. If this won't do I will give him to my nearest LFS for his own sake.
If the biggest aquarium you can get is a 30 gal, then no, don't get more, and you should rehome the one you have. They are not appropriate for your tank size. Always stock for the tank size you have.

Can you list exact water parameters? "Fine" doesn't really help us.

TheYesMan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A
If the biggest aquarium you can get is a 30 gal, then no, don't get more, and you should rehome the one you have. They are not appropriate for your tank size. Always stock for the tank size you have.

Can you list exact water parameters? "Fine" doesn't really help us.
pH 7, Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrites 0 ppm, Nitrates 1 ppm. He is fine now, it was malnutrition

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He's not fine now, as he's still stressed and alone and in too small of a tank. The BGK will also need a much bigger tank than a 30 gal. Not fair to him either.

Not sure how you're measuring nitrates, most tests don't go as low as 1 ppm.

TheYesMan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He's not fine now, as he's still stressed and alone and in too small of a tank. The BGK will also need a much bigger tank than a 30 gal. Not fair to him either.

Not sure how you're measuring nitrates, most tests don't go as low as 1 ppm.
I will give my BGK to a friend once he's too big for the one I currently have and the clown fish has gone to my LFS.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom