faded cardinals

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
just a quick question....usually my husband is the first one downstairs in a morn and my son is the one who usually turns on the tank lights and counts the fish to ensure all is well! however, i was first downstairs this morn and i turned them on. in the tetra tank i was surprised to find the red had completely dissappeared from the cardinals and the neon tetra too. slightly concerned kept an eye on them. they were swimming about and seemed otherwise fine. anyway, gradually over a couple of hours the redness came back?! now do tetras need the light to create the red pigment and thats why this happened. i will ask my hubby later if they are usually redless in a morn, but he prob wouldnt notice! the green stripe was bright as always, just the red bit missing. they had live food yesterday so imagine how disappointed i was to see their colour gone! i thought the live food would brighten it if anything!

anyone else noticed this on their tetras? i'll look out again for it tomorrow morning. it seems very odd to me!!

Tan

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry it took so long for someone to reply. It is normal for some types of tetras to lose their color overnight. It's pretty cool.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks omorrokh! they seem happy enough and havent noticed it again since!! at least if they do it again i know they're fine!!! my plec likes changing colour too!!who needs a chameleon when you've got fish!
Tan

Gendarme

Reaction score
Mine do that as well but their color comes back in minutes, almost while I watch. I thought maybe it was to hide in the dark. Any thoughts?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom