fact finding mission

1. octonaut Member Member

Hi, I'm investigating RCS to go in 2 of my tanks....and I have some questions. :;dete

1) how big do they get? was in a FS today and they had "super RCS" that grow to 1.5"....is that normal?
    2) do you quarantine them like ordinary fish?
    3) is £2.85 - £3 per shrimp about right?
    4) how many can I add to a 5gal with a female betta? I'll have lots of hiding places.....

thankyou :)

2. Daac Well Known Member Member

1. they usually get 3/4 to 1 inch max so yeah they are extra big
    2. you do not have to quarantine them but do acclimate them carefully
    3. I don't know about euros but in dollars they are usually like 1-2 each depeding on quality
    4. in a 5 gallon with a betta many would get eaten but if there are good hiding spots they may be ok... if you have males and females it doesn't matter how many you put in since they will breed like crazy regardless... I would start with at least 10 to keep inbreeding down though.

3. Henri Well Known Member Member

I never raised RCS so far, but just to clear something out, if they cost about $1-2 in the US, then in pounds£, not euros €, it would be like $4, because a pound is about $1,5...

4. Daac Well Known Member Member

Oop... yeah I get the signs mixed up...I should know since the UK uses pounds... anyway yeah that much is far too much unless you are buying really really red rcs with like no clearness in them. I would check around on here first since there is almost always someone on herer selling RCS. There is always yellow shrimp too. They are neat but a bit more pricey.

5. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

A note on cost: It depends on area. For some reason, I usually see them for $5 apiece or more around here. It apparently doesn't matter that the local aquarium society people breed and sell them for much less, or that you can get them on Aquabid for quite a bit less (even counting shipping).

6. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Same thing here, I bought mine from a fishlore member because the LFS by me wants $4.99 per shrimp.

7. octonaut Member Member

shame I'm in the UK....

8. Fall River Member Member

I just PM'd Zeez to see if he still has RCS for sale. Very good prices.

9. hud316 Member Member

I got 4 for £5 in Edinburgh yesterday, would not add them with a betta though. When I had my betta I asked about getting shrimps but the shop owner said only to get them if I wanted to give my betta a nice colourful meal

10. octonaut Member Member

I got 6 for £18 in Monifieth....think you got a better deal! I'm not sure if I still have 6...the most invisible £18 I've ever had!

I've decided to not add any with the betta now as she's very very tempremental. she had to spend half a day inthe commnunity tank and was trying to climb out. She's way happier alone!

11. hud316 Member Member

I know what you mean about invisible, I've got that many hiding places (which is good for the shrimp, but not for me being nosey) that I struggle to find them most of the time.

12. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

When I first got my RCS, I never saw them. Now they cover my tank ;D they are great at making babies. Hope you were able to get a male. They're clear so they don't get sold as much.

I'm pretty sure I started with 15 about 8 months ago. Now I have.... many.

13. hud316 Member Member

Wow that tank looks amazing with all the RCS.

Had a nightmare with my new RCS :( 3 of the 4 are dead already, all my fish are fine but the RCS have not responded well to my tank.

Think I may have had the temp set too high, have now turned it down to 27...hopefully my last RCS will survive.

Currently shopping for a new aquarium test kit to check my amonia/nitrate levels etc but with my fish being in good health and active I'd assume that its not too out of control if at all.

14. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Invertebrates are very sensitive to copper, something to keep in mind. I have my temp set at 25-26 and they seem fine. What kind of fish are you keeping them with?

15. hud316 Member Member

I have turned my temp down to 27 and already the remaining RCS seems a lot more active. API Aquarium test kit has been ordered so will be able to check my water too very soon.

My tank only has non aggressive fish, couple of guppies, tetras etc.

16. PrairieSunflower Initiate Member

Hey there! I'm in the UK too, not sure if you bought any yet, I bought some on ebay from a seller... the cost was excellent, the postage price was excellent and they came really well packed.. in a double bag with plants for comfort placed in one of those sturdy coffee mug boxes. Delivery was next day. I got a variety of sizes of shrimp... I actually ordered 5 but they sent me 12. All of them survived delivery and and thriving in my tank... the babies are the most confident and dart around while the older ones tend to hide.

I will PM you the link to the same seller.... once I figure out how to do that.

17. PrairieSunflower Initiate Member

When you do water changes, do you add warm water from the hot water tap? Some hot water pipes are made from copper or have copper seals and residue can pass through the water. Copper is poisonous to shrimp. You might want to place water in a separate container from the cold water tap them warm it slowly by pouring in water from a boiling kettle, once its the right temperature and treated, THEN add it to the aquarium.

18. hud316 Member Member

Cheers for that, would be much appreciated :)

When I do my water changes I add a little hot water so the new water going into the tank is as near to the temperature of the water I am removing, any new water is then treated with (I forget the name of the product) but it removes chlorine from water and acts as a coating to protect injured or stressed fish.

19. luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

What's an RCS???:(

20. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

RCS = Red Cherry Shrimp

Members must have at least 50 posts in order to send PM's