Fabric on tank bottom?

1. Taffymieh

Taffymieh Valued Member Member

This may be a ridiculous question but I was wondering if anyone has kept fabric under their gravel? I am planning on getting a new tank and was thinking of putting some type of fabric on the bottom of the tank before I add gravel to give it some cushion against the glass. I was moving stuff around in my other tanks with some semi-heavy decorations and the scratching noise the sand and gravel made against the bottom gave me a terrible feeling. Is the glass damage so minimal I shouldn't worry about it? Would keeping fabric down there have bad effects on water chemistry or bacteria? What type of fabric should I be considering? (I have a lot of extra felt)
    Thank you in advance for entertaining my silly notions.

2. OP
    OP
    Taffymieh

I wasn't sure what category this should go under. Feel free to move it. Thank you

3. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

IMO there's no need to put anything down there, the scratches (if any) will be minimal. I don't know anybody here who does that. Even if there are scratches, it's unlikely you'll be seeing them since you have substrate anyway :)

I'd also be worried about any dyes in the fabric. The fabric will probably disintegrate with time, too.

4. OP
    OP
    Taffymieh

Yeah I imagine it would get pretty gross down there. I'm just a little paranoid I suppose haha thank you very much for your reply! I won't add any then

5. mamachickadee

mamachickadee Valued Member Member

I agree with Aster, no fabric, just get a good siphon to make Maintenance easy and don't worry about scratches,