F8 Puffer unhappy

CHanna
Yesterday I decided to bring home an F8 puffer from my lfs. Little after getting him in his tank he began surfing the glass, would stop to eat but goes right back at it. He is in full freshwater as that is what I was told he was in when sold to me. I will post water parameters below but could his surfing be because of no salt being in the water? I plan on buying a hydrometer and marine salt today and begin to convert the tank to brackish water. Is this a good idea and are there any posts already about how to convert the water? I've done a lot of research and think I know what I'm doing but I want to be sure.
Parameters:
Ph 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20ppm
Kh
Gh 8°

MacZ
CHanna said:
I will post water parameters below but could his surfing be because of no salt being in the water? I plan on buying a hydrometer and marine salt today and begin to convert the tank to brackish water. Is this a good idea and are there any posts already about how to convert the water? I've done a lot of research and think I know what I'm doing but I want to be sure.
Yes, stressed fish (especially when just put into a new tank) tend to glasssurf and you are absolutely right, the fish needs brackish water. They can only be kept in pure freshwater for a certain amount of time before their health deteriorates. So the sooner you change, the better.
I can only give one advise: Mix in the salt in a bucket before adding it to the tank and be careful to calculate amounts correctly.

Does the search here on the forum not help? I think there have been several threads on exactly that topic before.

CHanna
MacZ said:
Yes, stressed fish (especially when just put into a new tank) tend to glasssurf and you are absolutely right, the fish needs brackish water. They can only be kept in pure freshwater for a certain amount of time before their health deteriorates. So the sooner you change, the better.
I can only give one advise: Mix in the salt in a bucket before adding it to the tank and be careful to calculate amounts correctly.

Does the search here on the forum not help? I think there have been several threads on exactly that topic before.
Thank you I figured that was the issue and ill check out the forum more to find more on the correct calculations

Top Bottom