eyes sticking out

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
one of my albino cory cats has a weird eye that is almost all white, the other eye is red and looked normal at first, but now both eyes are kind of sticking out a little bit.

Is there anything I can do for him?
Is what he has contagious? I have two ottos in the tank with him, and i'm going to be getting a betta.

-It is a five gallon tank, the cory cat isn't going to be staying in that tank. When I get the betta, the cory will be moved to one of my other tanks. Tank is cycled.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could you give us your water test readings please? At any sign of a problem a water change is always a good idea.
Carol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It could be bacterial if it is not caused by high nitrites or nitrates. I do not know that I would put any new fish in that tank until you know for sure what caused the problem. I wish you knew what the water parameters were before you did the water change as usually pop-eyes are a sign of a water problem of some kind. If you keep him in the tank for the next week and keep the tank nitrite/nitrate free (test at least daily) and his eyes do not improve some in the next couple of days then he is going to need medication.

Rose

OP
T

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. The cory cat is new, I got him a few days ago. The readings before the latest water change were

December 9th:
Ammonia: 0
Nitirte:0
Nitrate: 20

I'm guessing the stress of beign moved, plus the condition the store's tank was in lead to pop eye. I moved him to my q tank at home so that I can keep a closer eye on him, and I started treating him. I'll keep an eye on my ottos for a week or so to make sure they don't have any problems before adding the betta to the tank. The cory cat was one of thoes fish I knew I shouldn't have gotten, but I couldn't leave him where he was. He was the only cory in the tank and the tank was FILTHY, the store stank! There were a few dead fish... all in all I knew better than to get him, but still... He was cute and he looked okay at the time so I brought him home. I won't be going back to that store.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom