Eye In 160 Filter In A 40 Litre Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Western, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Western

Western Valued Member Member

Hi guys I have just got a 160 eheim pick up for my 40 litre tank.wanted to keep a betta and some shrimp and nerites.but will the betta be ok with the flow being like it is how still should it be for a betta?and if it's to high what fish like a high flow that can go in a 40 litre?would really appreciate the input.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Bettas don't like strong outflow, so you may have to baffle it.
    Snails won't have problems with it.

3. OP
    OP
    Western

Do you think a few guppies would be better?

Or what's the best way to baffle it?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2017
  4. FlutterFish

FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

Betta and shrimp would work.

Eheim 160 is way too strong for a 10 gallon. Especially with bettas, you should go with something like a sponge filter or a HOB like AquaClear 20 - but even then, you'd have to put it on the lowest flow and baffle it if you're leaning towards long-finned varieties of bettas.

5. OP
    OP
    Western

What about the eheim 60 will that be sufficient for a 40 litre and a betta?

I really want to get it right as I really care about animals wellbeing and love Fish!how would I baffle the filter?

Finding it so hard to get it right I have so far got rid of the stock filter then bought a stingray 5 to be told it's not sufficient!then to be told a 160 eheim is sufficient only to find that this is overkill also please help!!So much conflicted information!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice