Extremely tiny fry sitting on my snail?!

AmandaP1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is this extremely tiny little thing a fry of some sort? I took a look at my fish tank earlier, and saw the itty bitty little guy sitting on my snail! What could it be?

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Taking the phrase "This ride is going at a snail's pace" to a whole new level.

AmandaP1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, there was only one of them that I saw. I'm surprised I noticed it! It was literally like a little speck. I have no idea where it came from. I thought that they are supposed to hatch in large groups. All I have in there now are cories, although I did have other fish that I rehomed recently. Must be one of them.

I just thought it was so adorable that he was hanging out with Mr. Yellow, my snail that still needs a better name. I hope that the little guy survives, although I'm sure it won't because it's so tiny and it will likely be sucked into the filter.

Vyvid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What kind of filter do you have? You can get a sponge prefilter to wrap around the intake

AmandaP1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's a Fluval HOB filter (previously AquaClear). I suppose I could put a piece of filter batting over the opening of the intake tube if I ever have more fry? I doubt this one has survived. I haven't seen it since I took the photo. Sadly, that's what I figured would happen, since it's a speck in a 55 gallon tank.

AmandaP1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you so much for the kind offer, but what about the shipping cost? It would probably cost a buck or two just to ship it! I'm so happy to see that there are so many helpful people on this forum though, it makes me smile to see everyone helping one another. Complete strangers, such as yourself, willing to help others out is a very refreshing thing to see, as I have yet to find it anywhere else but on this forum!

Sorry for getting sidetracked a bit though! I'm just so happy to have found a place where I feel welcome, and where everyone is eager to help.

I'd gladly accept one if you don't need it, but I don't want you to go out of your way to mail it to me!

AmandaP1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, I sent it to you. Sorry I haven't been able to reply very quickly. My big tank is nearing cycle completion, and I've been doing constant water changes on top of all of the other chores I routinely do. Another one is due today! D: I can't seem to get the nitrite and nitrate levels to come down, even if I do 50%+ water changes every other day.

I'm starting to worry that this might be stressing my little guys out. Is it normal to have really high nitrite and nitrate levels with no ammonia towards the end?

Needless to say, I haven't seen the little fry again. :c Hopefully soon there will be more teensies swimming around. I'm really looking forward to my first batch of them.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is normal to have a nitrite spike. First you develop bacteria that will convert ammonia into nitrite. So all the ammonia is being converted into nitrite, but there isn't any (or enough at this point) bacteria to convert the nitrite into nitrate. So you end up with a nitrite spike until your nitrite converting bacteria colony gets large enough to handle all the nitrites. BTW, have you ever tested you tap water for nitrates?

To keep those nitrites low, you may have to do daily partial water changes. (Yeah, I know,,,not fun) But on the bright side you should be close to completing the cycle.

Hang in there!

Vyvid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Popped it in the mail.

Yes that is normal towards the end of the cycle. I don't know that others would recommend it, but when I got to that point, rather than water changes I added prime to "detoxify" and let it finish out. That's just me. It was taking too long for me and I'm impatient. About 2 days after I did that my nitrites dropped and I had nitrates

AmandaP1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you so much!

And yes, water changes are becoming drudgery. I'm probably going to go buy a python tomorrow with the coupons I'm waiting for in my e-mail. If I don't get them I may try that. I've heard a lot about prime, so I'm probably going to switch over to it from my current water conditioner anyway. Either way, I'm certainly looking forward to less frequent water changes!

AmandaP1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jdhef: Sorry that I didn't see your post until after I replied to Vyvid! It's good to know that the cycle will be complete soon. I have technically tested my tap water for nitrate, as I took a "baseline reading" when I first started. It's been slowly climbing for the past month, and now it shows up blood red in the test tube, and nitrate shows up plum purple. It's been that way for a week or so now. When I first started, nitrate was essentially at zero. It came up yellow. I just wish that nitrite and nitrate wouldn't be so high no matter what I do... I even reduced my population, and put in some snails this week.

Vyvid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mine never got red. Orangish and plum then boom light blue and very slight nitrates. But I use purigen instead of carbon and I heard that it absorbs nitrites and nitrates

AmandaP1987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmm, never heard of purigen. I'll have to look into it and see what it is. I have nearly a whole can of activated carbon though, so I'm going to have to finish that off. I didn't know that there was a product out there that may absorb nitrite and nitrate!

I hope the purple will turn light blue very soon. The funny thing is, I did a quick test after the water change yesterday out of curiosity, and it hardly went down at all! I changed out 50% of the water too! I just don't get it... shouldn't that have cut the levels in half? I'm likely going to do another water change today, since I ended up getting a great deal on that python. Now it won't be such drudgery anymore at least, even if it is every day!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom