EXTREMELY sick fish - PLEASE help :o( - Page 2

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do not think anything will prevent the sickness if they are going to be caught by what ever it is. The salt may stop the accumulation of fluids in their tissues but you will have to be careful as the Aquarium salt will remove some fluid from the bodies of the healthy fish and could dehydrate them a bit. The saline balance in freshwater fish's bodies is kind of touchy.

Rose

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So should I remove the aquarium salt from the water right way? I can do it right now if necessary.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You have watered it down quite a bit with the 50% change. While I would not want to see you leave it in there for a long time. Since you are good about your tank maintenance, (I know you probably put me to shame) it should be okay til the next change.

Rose

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Actually, I wasn't performing that large water changes in the 10 gallon tank in the past. But ever since I got the baby angels, I got into the habit of keeping the water extra clean. This is because of the angels - they needed so many and so large water changes every day, that now a large water change once a week seems like a piece of cake to me, lol. I'd still have 0 nitrate with probably only 30% water changes a week in the 10 gallon tank ... But while I am at the big water changes with the 30 gallon tank ... why not the 10 gallon tank as well, lol. (I actually perfom 50% water changes TWICE a week in the 30 gallon tank because it is very overstocked, and I want the nitrate to be 10 at worst and 0 at best. The remaining baby angels are going to a 110 gallon tank in about 3 weeks . I'm leaving myself 2 of them. Once the babies have gone to their new home, I'll have smaller water changes to perform.)

P.S. How about a 50 % water change (in the 10 gallon tank) in the middle of the week, and another 50% water change at the end of the week? Also, should I continue to keep the temp. at 82F? Should I add Epsom salt after I've removed the aquarium salt?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Watch them closely. Do the water changes like you mentioned, sounds fine to me. Don't add the Epsom salts unless you see some sign of illness. They will be okay with just clean water until then. It could be that the one fish is the only one affected. All the others may have developed an immunity to the problem.

My attitude about medications and adding anything has changed a lot since the problem with Marty. I am always going to suggest the caution about keeping things as pure as possible.

Rose

Golden Fish

Reaction score
I am really sorry Isabella about the little guy. I was rooting for him. I am glad to hear the others are doing good. I will leave the advice to chickadee. Althiough I would like to add that I believe very strongly about keeping it pure like chickadee said. I hate adding chemicals to the tank. I can't believe how much "stuff" they sell to fix/change this or that, it is amazing!

Anyway, Good luck!

Izabela

Reaction score
HI Isabella,
How is your sick buddy doing? Just wanted to clarify a few things. Epsom Salt and any other salt are NOT the same....although adding some aquarium salt will not hurt (the 1 TBS/1 G rule is pretty safe). Epsom salt is available at most drug stores, even grocery stores. Putting your hands in the sick tank is safe...just scrub for a full 2 minutes with soap and lots of friction to remove any bacteria that may be on your hands. You should wash your hands before putting them in the tank too so as not to intruduce any bacteria that is not there. Hope this helps.

Izabela

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you Rose, Golden Fish, and Izabela

Izabela, the fish has already died, and I've already bought the Epsom salt - I found it at a local pharmacy store the same day that the fish died.

As for the rest of the fish, they all look fine, eat fine, and swim fine. Do you think that if they haven't gotten sick by now, they'll be OK? I really hope they'll be well, and I have a feeling they will.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
With being in the same tank together, if there was an infection of some kind in the tank, they (including the little one who died) have all been exposed to the disease at the same time. This would tend to make me believe that there is some reason why they are alive and he is not. Perhaps they are immune to whatever or maybe it was not something contagious. I am guessing, and I stress guessing that the others will be fine. I would not add any new fish to the tank for a bit though just in case.

I am so sorry that this has happened to you. you are such a good fish mommy and I know that this has been distressing to you. There is nothing you could do for this little one to help, but I do know that your fish are extremely well cared for and you try very hard to maintain the healthiest of environments for them. Please just realize that there sometimes are things like this that happen and we never know why, but I will always believe it was just one of those things. You did nothing to hurt this little fish and I do hope you are not beating yourself up over it.

I do want to tell you how sorry this has made me. I do know that it is hard to lose fish and if there is anything I can do please let me know.

Rose

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Isabella I'm so sorry you lose your fish. Don't think because of this you were not a good fishie mommy because you are. Maybe it was older than the others or its immune system was compromised in some way there's just no way to tell, so don't beat yourself up.
chickadee said:
The salt may stop the accumulation of fluids in their tissues but you will have to be careful as the Aquarium salt will remove some fluid from the bodies of the healthy fish and could dehydrate them a bit. The saline balance in freshwater fish's bodies is kind of touchy.
Rose
I think what Rose is refering to is the Osmoregulatory system or simply Osmoregulation

Carol

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you Carol and Rose. It's OK, you know. All the other fish are doing fine, so they didn't get infected. Thanks God!

You were right on with the diagnosis. It was Dropsy indeed. My fish looked EXACTLY the same as the fish with Dropsy on the pictures on this website: (Atm has provided me with this website). I think this is a VERY good website, and I've included it in the "Disease Chart" thread.

New Threads