Extremely high nitrates. HELP

1. TKDennison Member Member

So my cousin comes to my house today with her kids and says
    "wow I wish my fish tank looked like that!!!" Didn't even know she had one
    She knows nothing of the cycle or testing or ANYTHING.
    says she hasn't cleaned it in a month. it has 3 goldfish. I'm like oh my god...

So my sister is babysitting tonight.. I have her take her test kit down.

Ph - Off the charts probably 8.6-8.8
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrates - 80+

First priority is obviously to get the Nitrates down. How fast can I do this???

2. TKDennison Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406510079.353832.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406510092.869337.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406510104.494182.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

You can do back to back 50% water changes should bring nitrate levels down to 20.
    Make sure you give the gravel a though vacuuming as Goldie's are heavy waste producers, there is likely a lot of poop lying in and under the substrate

4. TKDennison Member Member

5. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

The first 2 look like Fantails. The 3rd is bit harder due to the pic. Does it have a tail similar to the other two or just a single tail?

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. TKDennison Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406514807.242890.jpg

I think that's a better pic of the last one

7. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

Looks like a comet, looks like it has a single tail.

8. LWormy Member Member

How big is your friend's tank? It look overstocked. Comets only belong in a pond and they grow more than 12".

9. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I would caution against nitrate shock, if these goldies are used to being in high nitrates, you may want to lower them gradually. I would also suggest testing the water source to see what you will be adding back to the tank in regards to ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Best of luck, what a great thing for you to take ownership and correct the goldies living conditions!

10. NaomiR Initiate Member

Weirdly fish are incredibly good at adjusting to bad nitrate levels so I would go with 30% water changes every day for 5 days to gently bring nitrates down

11. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Yeah I can see clearly you've got at least one fantail and a comet. The first one is actually the one I'm having trouble with. Looks like it could be either. I initially thought fantail as well but looking closely could be a comet too. If you can get a better photo of him. Does he have a long body too?

EDIT: Just saw the last photo. I think you actually have 2 fantails and a comet. However whether they have single or double-tails will actually make the difference because I still kind of think that one fantail in the last photo has an awfully long body even for a fantail.

12. TKDennison Member Member

So the worst part of this all...Its a 29 GALLON TANK!

UGH. And she keeps it at 80 degrees... SIGH

13. LWormy Member Member

What? I thought goldfish is suppose to be sub-tropical/coldwater! Do she have a heater? You should REALLY get her to cool this tank down. She is better off rehoming the fish IMHO.

14. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Goldfish are temperate most esp fancies. Subtropical is probably accurate even. High temps just mean you have more metabolically active fish and need to compensate with high oxygen, food and water changes.

The two fantails are fine for the 29g. We've seen a lot worse stocking on here. Comet will need another arrangement.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

15. TKDennison Member Member

Her house is 80 most of the time. we live in Upstate NY.
    thats pretty normal off and on for our summers. her heater isn't even plugged in.