Extremely Frustrated!!! Fishless cycling

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay this doesn't make any sense.

Today I tested my 46 gallon bowfront getting ready to finally get some fish Ammonia was 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 25, PH 7.2, Temp 79, KH 4 after cycling for a month with ammonia chloride

Did a major water change today about 70% using pretreated conditioned water today and was about to go get some fish but wanted to do a final parameter test

2 hours later my Nitrites have spiked to 1-2 PPM

What the heck...this thing has been cycling for over a month and I was sure it was complete...almost ready to give up

Help Please !!!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!!!!!
what test kit are you using and what water conditioner? if you tested right after changing the water, you could be getting a false reading as some water conditioners will do that with some test kits its best to test water 24 hours or more after a water change and right before doing another one with the conditioner

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if you tested right after using the conditioner, its probably whats going on with the nitrite reading....give it another 24hours, and test BEFORE treating the water GREAT job with a fishless cycle!!!

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Shawnie and Goldwing_Don...I'll give it a 24 hour wait and see

I'm just glad I have all these questions without the in the tank and doing a fishless cycle..I'd be really worried that they were suffering right about now!!!

What I'm worried about though is that I killed my bacteria during the water change somehow...not sure how I would do this I made sure everything was sterile and temps of the water were the same

I know I'll be patient...just thinking out loud

I started this cycle on 4/11/10

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
higher temps actually cycle faster I agree with don...patience is something you learn in this addiction even if its the hard way....I did cycle with fish without knowing better, and it took me 9 weeks of daily bucket water changes in a 75g tank...its not fun but it definitely teaches you a thing or 2!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle section of the forum to help you to receive more responses. Too, should others have the same issues it will help in their search for information.

Thanks
Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom