Extremely Bloated Betta Fish

Nighthawk1701

Hello. I have a 2-3 year old crowntail betta and in the last month or so he has become extreamly bloated and I am unsure what to do. I have tried the common methods like fasting and epsom salt baths but there has been no noticable improvement, it seems to be getting slowly worse. His belly is about the size of a marble and looks like its filled with fluid. He is still behaving fairly normal, eating and swimming ok, but I cant imagine its comfortable. Is there anything else I can do, or should I consider euthanizing? Thank you for your advice.

PlantedCommunityTank132

Can you send a pic? And did you test your water?

Nighthawk1701

Yes, the water parameters are fine. Ammonia and nitrite is 0 and nitrate at about 5ppm.

betta06

Yes, the water parameters are fine. Ammonia and nitrite is 0 and nitrate at about 5ppm.
I would recommend fasting for a few days then if that is not working I would give him some Daphne.

Nighthawk1701

Ive tried fasting for 4-5 days and feeding daphnia and no noticable improvement

Rose of Sharon

Poor beautiful boy!!!!!

I would recommend that you try doing an aquarium salt bath instead of an epsom salt bath. The actual aquarium salt may work better at pulling out some of that fluid and will help with osmoreregulation. I would start with a half of a tablespoon per gallon of water to see how he does with it. If he is ok, then the next time, you can increase the dosage to one tablespoon per gallon, but see how he reacts.

I hope he gets better!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
maeh22
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Replies
Views
Abhitej Bokka
Replies