30 Gallon Tank Extremely Aggressive Male Blue

PurityNWhiteRoses

I have a two very large blue gouramis and my male, Poseidon, keeps attacking my female daily. Usually, he just nips and chases her if he can see her in my tank but when I do water changes… Watch out. They both get all striped up and he bites her fins and visibly rips them. The two will spin around in a circle until I throw him in my breeder box to calm him. It is getting out of hand and I’m at a loss. My female now hides 24/7 and seems extremely stressed and paranoid. I don’t know what to do and I really hope I don’t want to have to give either one away. Any advice-?

Thanks,
~Purity

I attached a picture of Poseidon. Don’t know if that would help anyone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 14

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, for me the issues are keeping too few and keeping them in too small of an aquarium.
I will always recommend keeping them in a 4ft tank or bigger with 4 individuals at the minimum. It's not practical to be constantly separating fish when things get too aggressive especially considering his is also part of their normal behaviour, social interactions are can be quite violent at times. This is a big reason for keeping a group.

As for what to do, that's tough but for me a bigger tank with more fish is a must to keep these long term but I think for now taking one back(or selling, giving to someone who keeps them etc...) is the easiest with the least risk.
Could you also get a picture of the female? Could be you have two males, but to be honest I don't think it would make all that of a difference.

PurityNWhiteRoses

Hi, for me the issues are keeping too few and keeping them in too small of an aquarium.
I will always recommend keeping them in a 4ft tank or bigger with 4 individuals at the minimum. It's not practical to be constantly separating fish when things get too aggressive especially considering his is also part of their normal behaviour, social interactions are can be quite violent at times. This is a big reason for keeping a group.

As for what to do, that's tough but for me a bigger tank with more fish is a must to keep these long term but I think for now taking one back(or selling, giving to someone who keeps them etc...) is the easiest with the least risk.
Could you also get a picture of the female? Could be you have two males, but to be honest I don't think it would make all that of a difference.
I can take a picture right now. I’m in the middle of doing a deep clean of my tank. That’s why there are no plants. :’)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 15

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
awilkinson871
Replies