Help Extreme Algae Problem

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Messages
222
Reaction score
41
Points
53
Experience
1 year
Hey guys. So I have a 10 gal planted Betta tank with, 3 Cory's, and 1 nerite snail. There's a cabomba, bucephalandra red, java fern, java moss, and anubias Nana petite. We are going to get more Cory's soon. Anyway it's been set up since July 27th. I used bio media from a cycled 20 gallon in this new tanks filter. But the entire time I've had readings of 0 for nitrate nitrite and ammonia. I tested this morning just before writing this and it's still 0 across the board.

Wich is good I guess but I have extremely bad algae. It started about a week in. I do weekly 25% water changes and Ive been scrubbing the glass and trying to scrub my green cabomba without uprooting it. I started doing twice a week water changes and algae scrubbing because it's getting worse and worse.

I have the fluval plant nano light and originally I had it on for 12 hours a day. It's now on for only 10. And also I can adjust the intensity of the light. So when it was on for 12 I have it ramp up to max power only for 6 hours and then it slowly gets dimmer. Now I've changed it so it's only at max for 2 hours. And when I say max I mean all the spectrums turned all the way up.

I'll post the pics down below. So what type of algae could this be if I don't have any nitrate? And I'm using a phosphate removing sponge. No help. I went a whole week without cleaning it and this how it gets.

When I scrub the plants and wood it all starts floating around in the water. So bad that I feel like I can't finish the job without worrying about the fish swimming in that dirty water. Does it hurt the fish to have the tank full of loose algae? When I scrub it off it makes the water sooooo dirty.

It's so thick on my plants I really don't know what to do anymore. Scrubbing it off is tedious and time consuming. And it never gets it all off and it just comes back in a few days. Is there anything I can add to the water at this point to help out? Lights off right now so the pictures are dim. But the algae is very green color almost blueish. It's not slimy tho I don't think it's cyanobacteria.

My green cabomba is pretty much not visible anymore
 

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Messages
1,796
Reaction score
831
Points
118
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks a lot like cyanobacteria. It's not always slimy. One way to tell it cyanobacteria grows rapidly. Either way, hydrogen peroxide is a good and mostly fish safe treatment option. Dose about 2ml per gallon over a few days. When you dose turn off your filter before you dose and leave it off for about an hour after you dose. It is very important to do this as the H2O2 will crash your cycle and kill the BB off if you don't.
Also, as the algae dies off you should do water changes frequently as it will probably spike your ammonia and also could be controlling your nitrates.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Messages
222
Reaction score
41
Points
53
Experience
1 year
It looks a lot like cyanobacteria. It's not always slimy. One way to tell it cyanobacteria grows rapidly. Either way, hydrogen peroxide is a good and mostly fish safe treatment option. Dose about 2ml per gallon over a few days. When you dose turn off your filter before you dose and leave it off for about an hour after you dose. It is very important to do this as the H2O2 will crash your cycle and kill the BB off if you don't.
Also, as the algae dies off you should do water changes frequently as it will probably spike your ammonia and also could be controlling your nitrates.
Awesome man thanks, so just add it to the tank via eye dropper or syringe? And do you mean add enough for 1 gallon slowly over the course of a few days until I have enough for 10 gallons of water? Sorry one last question just the normal first aid h202?
 

Jack B Nimble

Well Known Member
Messages
536
Reaction score
555
Points
103
Awesome man thanks, so just add it to the tank via eye dropper or syringe? And do you mean add enough for 1 gallon slowly over the course of a few days until I have enough for 10 gallons of water? Sorry one last question just the normal first aid h202?
1.5 ml of hydrogen peroxide per gallon so for that 10 I use 12 ml. Squirt into tank Swish around good with hand with filters off wait 1 hour turn everything back on. Some run a pump for circulation which works well too.
 

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Messages
1,796
Reaction score
831
Points
118
Experience
More than 10 years
No, add it all at once over the course of a few days (turning off your filter during dosing every time). Day 1 dose 12ml, day 2 dose 12ml day 3 dose 12ml etc.
1.5ml is a good number to dose to. Just try to keep it under 2ml a gallon. If you see bubbles forming on the algae it is working. Also, I dose at night after lights out as the plants in my tank can use the excess oxeygen over night.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Messages
222
Reaction score
41
Points
53
Experience
1 year
Ok awesome guys thanks so much! That seems to easy **** its going to just kill it all in a few days? And now that the lights are on it got really really bad in the last 2 or 3 days check it out.

And also, will it start to turn brown or yellow as it dies off? And will I have to scrub it off still or will it fall off?


As far as my light goes. I was worried sinse I have a smaller light for my tank it would be not enough light. That's why I crank it for a few hours a day. Should I just not have it go to max? I also heard that blue light causes algae. Should I turn the blue down a bunch? I wasn't sure about this fact
 

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Messages
1,796
Reaction score
831
Points
118
Experience
More than 10 years
Really enabling the plants to out compete the algae is the easiest way to do it(root tabs, ferts CO2 etc.) Depending on your plants you could lessen it. Another option is to split up your photo cycle. Like 4 on 2 off 4 on or something. It probably won't fall off mostly, but as it dies, it should be easier and easier to remove.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Messages
222
Reaction score
41
Points
53
Experience
1 year
Really enabling the plants to out compete the algae is the easiest way to do it(root tabs, ferts CO2 etc.) Depending on your plants you could lessen it. Another option is to split up your photo cycle. Like 4 on 2 off 4 on or something. It probably won't fall off mostly, but as it dies, it should be easier and easier to remove.
Ok thanks man! I wish someone else would chime in that had the same light or a fluval plant haha. But anyway will adding more fert not feed the algae aswell? I'm using nilocg thrive for low tech tanks. But I don't use it much cause I don't want to over fert. But if I give the plants the full recommend does this will maybe even help the algae is what your saying ?

Oh and @MrBryan723 it's just the first aid hydrogen peroxide right? At Walmart?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Messages
1,796
Reaction score
831
Points
118
Experience
More than 10 years
Nilogc is a good brand formulated to not encourage algae growth. The main things you're looking for are phosphates for algae but I really think its cyanobacteria. I used the H2O2 to kill it off and started dosing ferts to keep it away.

Oh and @MrBryan723 it's just the first aid hydrogen peroxide right? At Walmart?
Yes. 3% solution. You can get stronger, but have to re adjust the dose. Our dosing was based on the 3%
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Messages
222
Reaction score
41
Points
53
Experience
1 year
Nilogc is a good brand formulated to not encourage algae growth. The main things you're looking for are phosphates for algae but I really think its cyanobacteria. I used the H2O2 to kill it off and started dosing ferts to keep it away.


Yes. 3% solution. You can get stronger, but have to re adjust the dose. Our dosing was based on the 3%
Your a tank savior lol! I'm gonna go get some now and try it out. Thanks again man I really appreciate it! It definitely does look like cyanobacteria now haha. At 1st it was hard to tell. And there's a bunch of long stringy stuff growing off my filter where the water comes out. Is that normal cyanobacteria behavior?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Messages
222
Reaction score
41
Points
53
Experience
1 year
@MrBryan723 sorry to bother you. I did my 2nd day of h202 dosing two days ago and I've just been so busy with work I haven't had even half an hour to do a water change or dose it again.

Is it going to be bad if I don't do a water change after dosing one time? I was maybe gonna do the last dose on Friday and do another water change Saturday. But I'm not sure if leaving the tank with no water change after dosing is a smart idea. It's already been 48 hours but I really couldn't help it unfortunately
 

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Messages
1,796
Reaction score
831
Points
118
Experience
More than 10 years
@MrBryan723 sorry to bother you. I did my 2nd day of h202 dosing two days ago and I've just been so busy with work I haven't had even half an hour to do a water change or dose it again.

Is it going to be bad if I don't do a water change after dosing one time? I was maybe gonna do the last dose on Friday and do another water change Saturday. But I'm not sure if leaving the tank with no water change after dosing is a smart idea. It's already been 48 hours but I really couldn't help it unfortunately
Fortunately with H2O2 it breaks down to water and oxeygen so you don't even have to worry about water changes regarding it. The water changes are to remove the dead algae mostly so you don't get an ammonia spike as it decomposes.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom