Not open for further replies.

f1ea

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello all,

Need some help on a major project.

I am currently trying to set up a VERY large saltwater tank project. It is not mine but I will be doing all the planning and work; We're planning to have Fish and Live rock only (ie no corals).

Money is no issue (since we are only planning now hehe) and the tank will either be 1,800 or 2,400 Gal.

I would have no problem choosing adequate equipment for regular large sized tanks. But since this is very large, I am sure some factors can be tweaked down. The house already has several large pools and indoor waterways, so some extra equipment and energy consumption is no big deal.

Please, I need you guys' help on:

1) Biological and Physical filtration (GPH).
I have already planned a small pool/jacuzzy filter. There is also the possibility of using a semi-continuous water change system (aprox 100% daily change) with pumped water from the beach (house is in a Marina); in such case I will probably cut down filtration to about 25% regular suggested value and keep only circulation flow.

2) Protein skimmer (GPH).
We could use perhaps 2 or 3 protein skimmers. What GPH should I aim for?

3) UV Filter (W).
The same... how big/how many UV filter would be recommended?

4) Circulation flow (GPH).
Tank will be 90 cm (3') deep for 1,800 Gal or 120 cm (less than 4') for the 2,400 Gal. How much should we aim for regarding circulation.

5) Lighting
Since we plan on some live rock, how much and what would be the best sort of lighting to get. T5 or MH?

Hope you guys have some ideas...

Regards and thanks in advance!

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
# 1 I would use a sump either the real thing or a tank that will fit under the DT tank. #2 900 - 1100 gph Just one skimmer! #3 18 to 24 watts. #4 3-4 times the total volume # 5 T5 will work fine or if you want it a little brighter go T5 HO use 10 k bulbs and 1 actinic per four feet of tank.

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I say how many skimmers wil depend on skimmer type (downdraft, cone, needlewheel, etc) and your bio load. For a FOWLR, any light will do, but coraline algae grows better with actinics.

I don't quite get it, but are you saying you're doing 100% water change everyday???

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I say how many skimmers wil depend on skimmer type (downdraft, cone, needlewheel, etc) and your bio load. For a FOWLR, any light will do, but coraline algae grows better with actinics.

I don't quite get it, but are you saying you're doing 100% water change everyday???
This is a tank in the making plans are being thought of and giving my thoughts on the setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 73 68.9%

Top Bottom