Extra filtration options ??

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by fishermanspie, Apr 18, 2012.

1. f

fishermanspie Valued Member Member

I have a recently setup Juwel rio 180 tank with built in bio filtration . (nearly 5 months )
    As yet I know it is early days but I am not over impressed with the filtration .
    How can I improve the filtration I was thinking about adding an extra filter , should it be internal or external , does anyone have any recommendations ?? Thanks

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Do you need extra filtration because of water quality or to keep the tank cleaner?

3. OP
    OP
    f

Would like the water to be crystal clear my readings are all about zero PH 6.8 ?

4. Jaysee

near 0 and 0 are two very different things ;)

It sounds like particulates in the water is the problem. If the water is looking dirty, then adding a second filter is a good idea. If it's just not clear (i don't want to say cloudy, but very small particles affecting clarity can make the water look somewhat cloudy), then adding some sort of water polisher to the current filter may do the job.

5. OP
    OP
    f

Will try a water polisher first thank you

6. OP
    OP
    f

Can anyone explain to me how external filters work , what will the tubes to the filter connect to in the tank it self ?
    I have been looking at the fluval filters are they any good ??? THANKS

7. c

cameronpalte Valued Member Member

You should get a HOB aqueon filter. So for example if your tank is 30g get the 20g filter. I am assuming your tank is around 180L which is around 48G so you would want to get an aqueon 55 and it should work well.

I'm not very experienced with external filters but I think for a tank of your size that would be too strong.

8. i

iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

If water clarity is what you're looking for HOB is the last thing i would recommend. The hoses are very simple to connect and are very simple to understand. You will notice this once you try it or with a bit of research.

Recent fluvals are a great idea. Most have only good reviews so it will be a good idea for both extra bio filtration and picking up debris, even the smaller stuff and hence keeping the water cleaner.

How is your internal filter setup? Is it in the hood or in the tank or what?

9. u

uphill4me Valued Member Member

I think my next project is my 29 Tall. Currently a High metabolism, high current tank. Thick, porous undergravel filter powered by a 260 GPH submersible powerhead and a 160 GPH Hang Over Back. Circulates contents over 15 times per hour. Aimed properly and well planted even small Tetras thrive and school. I am considering matching the 260 GPH powerhead on the opposite side on the redo (and stocking with a little larger fish). This gives more options to cancel current through positioning and increases GPH through the undergravel but eliminates the HOB filter. I'm planning on using a gentle, air powered twin sponge filter to replace it. With excess biological filtration, driftwood, plants etc. sufficient to effect current and a thick substrate, I have had great success up to 24 X per hour circulation. Sometimes requires a flat stone placed under rooted plants.

Not saying this is the route you should go but illustrating how I am using a simple sponge filter to enhance another system. Easy, affordable, hideable, internal and effective. (Don't forget a relief valve on the airline).

10. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

External filters work by taking water out of the aquarium, and running it through the filtration media, and returning it to the tank.

I assume you are specifically referring to canister filters?

Canister filters have a 'drain' line, that uses gravity to siphon the water into the canister itself. The canister then has a pump in it to return the now filtered water back to the tank through a return line, and typically use a spray bar inside the tank to disperse the water around.

Here's three links that might help you understand.

Filters and Filtration
    - https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/filters-filtration/74651-3-stages-filtration-what-they-do.html An introduction to how filtration works

- https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...ters-guide-setup-maintanence-tips-tricks.html Whilst specifically about the Eheim Classic filters, the principles of a canister filter remain the same

- https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/filters-filtration/61914-filtration-gph.html A great guide to what to look for when choosing a filter, includes HOB and canisters, with details by model for different filters

11. OP
    OP
    f

Thanks everyone . My next question I keep only small fish and freshwater shrimps , if i install an external filter will my little fish get sucked up . Unfortunately I managed to suck up some baby shrimp this morning despite having a fish guard on while doing a water change (they were ok though when I returned them to the tank the fish thought it was a treat of live food !!!

12. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Many members have success covering the filter inlet (strainer) with clean, brand new, never seen detergent pantyhose.

13. Jaysee

Healthy fish will not get sucked up by the filter.

As far as covering the intake, the net from a fish net will work well as well.

14. i

Agreed. Only fry can get sucked up, and even then it's so rare on a healthy fish. Any fish should be able to handle the currents in your tanks. They easily adapt to this just as they will outside the aquarium.

Any fine material/sponge can cover the intake.

15. OP
    OP
    f

Thanks but wont a sponge stop the filtration process ??

16. Jaysee

Not stop, but yes anything that you put over the intake will impede the flow of water to varying degrees.

17. i

It will if this sponge is:

1. Too high Density (very fine)
    2. Not cleaned well/often enough
    3. Not set up correctly.
    4. Too large/deep for a current to pull through it.

18. OP
    OP
    f

I seem to be getting a lot of baby shrimp hatching so I must be doing something wright . Perhaps if I decided to go for the extra filter this would be natures way of thinning them out !! (sort of) Not sure what shrimp I have yet as they are not the same colour as the parents I am sure that some have a blue tint ! Adults are cherry ,lemon cherry , crystal , jopanica and bee shrimp black and white . I think the shrimp are quite interesting and remind me of little submarines when they swim lol !

19. Jaysee

As with any growing colony - it will grow to be at equilibrium with the food supply.

20. i

Precisely. OVerfeeding will result in overpopulation and vice versa. They can e a good indicator of how much you rare feeding your tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice