Extra Extra! Male Goldfish Give Birth To Platy Fry

1. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Did that get your attention? I know it’s impossible but ...almost 3 weeks ago I moved my tropical fish to a new tank. I found about 20 platy fry at the time in plants and put them in a nursery tank. I moved my male Goldie’s into the original tropical tank. Today I was cleaning my male goldfish tank and found a tiny little platy fry. He’s much smaller than the ones in the nursery. How was he born when his mother is in another tank? They are livebearer’s. I can’t believe the Goldie’s didn’t eat him! Any ideas??? Here’s pics of him and the older ones.

Attached Files:

2. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

It's a miracle..lol.. do you share cleaning equipment? Like net or siphon??;)

3. HORNET1

HORNET1 Well Known Member Member

1487293606872.gif

:):):):) JUST KIDDING :):):):)

4. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I do but the Goldie tank always gets cleaned first. I figured I just missed him and he has miraculously survived on the little food leftover from the Goldie’s. He is so small and not a very strong swimmer. Shows what food nutrition does for those fry. The others are triple his size. If I wasn’t going on vacation I’d put him in his own separate nursery and feed him extra but it’s gonna have to be survival of the fittest.

5. SegiDream

SegiDream Well Known Member Member

Awww what a cute little guy. They can be very sneaky so you probably overlooked him and he's been hiding very well up until now. I miss fry :( I had this one molly fry that hung out by the filter outtake, I mean like religiously.. he'd never leave it for more than a moment and ignored everything else. He tripled in size very quickly compared to his siblings, all the same age relatively. He was like a little mini Hulk molly. When I rehomed them the lady said later on "OMG he never leaves the filter!" lol

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe the fry was a runt and survived off of plant crud? That might explain the smaller size.

7. SegiDream

SegiDream Well Known Member Member

Well speak of the devil I have fry :joyful: