Extinction event :(

hockeyref88
Member
On Tuesday I did water changes on 5 of the 6 tanks we have like usual. Last night when we got home we noticed all of our cichlids at the top of the tank gasping for air. I tested the water and the nitrites were at about 3. We had 4 dead fish. I did an immediate 80% water change. this morning same thing. 3 more dead. Nitrites about 2. another massive water change. Obviously something I did threw the tank into a minI cycle of some kind and of course I had to go to work and could not deal with it until after work. Got home and lost one more fish, Nitrites were at about .5. I ran to the fish store got some seeded bio rings and some prime. Added the bio rings to the cannister filter added the prime dopped the water level below the spray bar to help airate the water and they seem to be doing ok....I am so bummed. I lost my Prize electric yellow and a couple of my favorite catfish along with several others. I just can't imagine I forgot to condition the water I changed, but maybe I did. Something happened to start the cycle and it was something I did. ......................I bet I'll never let that happen again.
 
Shawnie
Member
I'm so sorry for the loss of your fishies...it really stinks when we don't know why!!!!Hmmm....I can't imagine overnight that it would have that drastic effect..Dont blame yourself, and do you really think it was the water change? do you have city water? I know a lot of people around here that keep fish, have been having issues with water because of lack of rain...its almost like the wells are pulling up sludge (even if you can't see it) or some other unnormal water issues...then some of my friend are getting too much rain, and a lot of chemicals or issues from poluted grounds are getting into the city water so they are treating it with higher chemicals than normal...
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
I changed 4 other tanks at the same time my 100 community, 40 goldfish, 20 guppie, 10 puffer, and of course the 80 cichlid. everyone else is great. I must have forgot the water conditioner. I have a habit of trying to be very fast and efficient when I do things which most of the time serves me very well. What else could throw the tank into a cycle???
 
Shawnie
Member
did u happen to replace the filter?
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
No............ I Have a cannister filter on it. It has those bio rings and stars in it. I added some more seeded bio rings today and rinsed the filter pads in aquarium water this morning. I know better than to clean it with tap water. I'm sitting here looking at the few (11) I have left and they appear to be doing much better. I'll be crossing my fingers for the next few days. Won't be feeding them for a few days either.
 
Shawnie
Member
again, I'm sorry for your loss..its so very weird that it happened that fast....is your tap water that bad? city or well water?
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
Its city water............... I think forgotten conditioner is really the only thing it could be. I can't think of anything else especially since it was the day after a water change. Never had any probs with the water before. Live and learn. I feel real bad for those fish. That tank has been my best tank. Never had any problems ever. Maybe if we had noticed sooner, but it just didn't happen.
 
dking271
Member
I had a similar event with one of my tanks two weeks ago. Is the tank planted? Did you do a gravel vac at the time of the water change? I do and did, and think that I may have hit a nitrogen pocket in the gravel from and old plant root that decayed. Did the change, came back from dinner and found my pair of German Blue Rams gasping at the surface. Nitrite was between .50 and .75. I did a 50% change, and got the nitrites down to .25 and then treated with Prime. I still lost my two Rams and one of the Corys in the tank. I did another water change the next day and added Bio Spira, which brought the tank completely back to normal in 2 days. I am now keeping an emergency dose of BioSpira in the fridge just in case it ever happens again. Sorry for your loss.
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
dking271 said:
I had a similar event with one of my tanks two weeks ago. Is the tank planted? Did you do a gravel vac at the time of the water change? I do and did, and think that I may have hit a nitrogen pocket in the gravel from and old plant root that decayed. Did the change, came back from dinner and found my pair of German Blue Rams gasping at the surface. Nitrite was between .50 and .75. I did a 50% change, and got the nitrites down to .25 and then treated with Prime. I still lost my two Rams and one of the Corys in the tank. I did another water change the next day and added Bio Spira, which brought the tank completely back to normal in 2 days. I am now keeping an emergency dose of BioSpira in the fridge just in case it ever happens again. Sorry for your loss.
No I didn't do a gravel vac this time. The cichlid tank stay amazingly clean. They are very clean fish. I don't think I've ever even seen a poo in the tank. I probably do a gravel vac about every 5 or 6 water changes. Also there are no live plants in the tank. Thanks though.
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
Shawnie said:
again, I'm sorry for your loss..its so very weird that it happened that fast....is your tap water that bad? city or well water?

Shawnie I forgot to say thanks for your comments.
 
Shawnie
Member
hockeyref88 said:
Shawnie I forgot to say thanks for your comments.
Anytime! Ill let you buy the next round
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
Shawnie said:
Anytime! Ill let you buy the next round
Cheers girl you got it.
 
Shawnie
Member
hockeyref88 said:
Cheers girl you got it.
Ill need a double tho!! I have my granddaughter overnight LOL
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
Shawnie said:
Ill need a double tho!! I have my granddaughter overnight LOL

How old is she?
 
Shawnie
Member
hockeyref88 said:
How old is she?
8 weeks..and still not sleeping all nite..she thinks play time is at 3am LOL ...I remember in my younger years, that 3am was bedtime...now 3am is get up for work haha...here she is I just took a pic



the poor gal is so tired of flashes going off in her face all the time ;D
 
ThisGuy
Member
Rick I am so sorry for the loss of your cichlids that sounds so weird even if you did forget to condition the water I couldn't see it driving your tank that crazy and losing your fish.

Shawnie your granddaughter is so cute I like the diamond earing's
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
Shawnie said:
8 weeks..and still not sleeping all nite..she thinks play time is at 3am LOL ...I remember in my younger years, that 3am was bedtime...now 3am is get up for work haha...here she is I just took a pic

the poor gal is so tired of flashes going off in her face all the time ;D
She sure is cute!! You must be proud....................Glad I don't have one of those though.............Too OLD for that.
 
Shawnie
Member
ty thisguy!! and I agree with the tank issue..very weird it would happen that fast..and so fierce
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
What else could it possibly be? The fish are doing much better right now.
 
ThisGuy
Member
I know I have forgotten to put in conditioner for a while and quickly put some in the tank but what about the times I didn't remember and I have never had a mass extinction. MTS you get sidetracked when you are cleaning 6 tanks it happens.
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
ThisGuy said:
I know I have forgotten to put in conditioner for a while and quickly put some in the tank but what about the times I didn't remember and I have never had a mass extinction. MTS you get sidetracked when you are cleaning 6 tanks it happens.

I know but what else could cause nitrites to spike like that. This tank has always been perfect. never a minutes problem. Shoot the nitrates rarely get over 20. Something caused the spike and that's the only thing that happened.
 
MinxMermaid
Member
oh gosh you guys, it was the saddest thing EVER. they were all suffering so much... and those two cat fish were the most GEORGEOUS POLKA DOT fat cat fish you ever saw. they were stunning and i'm so sad that they're gone and the yellow one too.

so many fishies, all so fast, it was frightening.
 
susitna-flower
Member
Beautifule grand baby! Where did all that hair come from.

Rick, sorry about your tank.....sometimes I think neglect is better than fussing too much.

I am like you in that I try to do things fast, and sometimes it ends up the slow way because I will run the tank over...SO if I feel really in a rush, I will just skip it for a couple of days, but then cut food out too. THEN I know the fish will be OK, and the tank will get better care when I do it at a better time. REALLY my floor needs mopping now and again!
 
  • Moderator
Lucy
Moderator
Member
I'm so sorry you lost your fish. It's bad enough when we lose one, but to have so many go at the same time and not know why has to be the hardest.
You're both good fish parents so try not to be too hard on yourselves.

Shawnie, your grand daughter to so precious!
 
Shawnie
Member
ty lucy !

I'm still baffled as to what happened...I cannot imagine that over night, a water change without(if that's the case in fact he did forget) conditioner, would kill that many fish so fast..not to mention, they aren't super sensitive so I'm still at a loss ..was hoping some of the experts in fish keeping for years and years, would have an answer
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
Well it was nice to get up this morning and see everybody that's left alive and well and swimming. Checked the water and 0 nitrates, nitrites or ammonia...... Hopefully its turning around......................I haven't feed them in 2 days, should I wait for a little longer?
 
Butterfly
Member
If all the tanks were having problems I would suggest maybe the city had thrown something new into the system but since its just the one that wouldn't be it.
Sorry you lost them
Carol
 
Shawnie
Member
hockeyref88 said:
Well it was nice to get up this morning and see everybody that's left alive and well and swimming. Checked the water and 0 nitrates, nitrites or ammonia...... Hopefully its turning around......................I haven't feed them in 2 days, should I wait for a little longer?
I'm glad everyone made it thru the night! and Yes I would feed them..
 
  • Moderator
Lucy
Moderator
Member
That's good new, I bet you were so relieved this morning.
But 0 nitrates?
 
Shawnie
Member
from the minI cycle I'm sure.... hmm wonder if that's what did it? cleaning too much? but still over night seems almost impossible
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
Butterfly said:
If all the tanks were having problems I would suggest maybe the city had thrown something new into the system but since its just the one that wouldn't be it.
Sorry you lost them
Carol
Yeah It can't be city tap but thanks for your comments.
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
Lucy said:
That's good new, I bet you were so relieved this morning.
But 0 nitrates?
Super relieved...................It was the nitrites I was freaking on but its holding clear at the moment......Fingers crossed.
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
Shawnie said:
from the minI cycle I'm sure.... hmm wonder if that's what did it? cleaning too much? but still over night seems almost impossible
Shawnie I know your questioning it but what else could it possibly be? I'm open to any Idea's............My guy at my LFS who I totally trust said he thought it would be the only thing he could think of that could do it. After the first couple of water changes after it happened I was thinking maybe I had something on my hands or something but it was the last tank I changed and I use a big submersable pump with a 1 1/4" hose on it to pump out the water fast when I'm not using the gravel vac. I can pump out 40 gallons in about 2 minutes. Then I have the python ready for refill connected directly to the hosebib minus the siphon for better pressure. I usually have the pre- measured amount of conditioner ready in a cup so I can make short work of the whole process. I never really put my hands in the tank. All I did was touch the pump to drop it in. Other than that that's it. I just got home and evrything is good in the tank. Everyone left present and accounted for.
 
Martinismommy
Member
Rick..

I'm am so sorry for the loss of your finbabies...After reading the posts I have to agree with you that it WAS the water...I know how harsh the water is in that area...I can see how it would shock the little fellows with all the chlorine the citys adds...

I hope everything is going good today...

Shawnie...That Granddaughter of yours is adorable!
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
Martinismommy said:
Rick..

I'm am so sorry for the loss of your finbabies...After reading the posts I have to agree with you that it WAS the water...I know how harsh the water is in that area...I can see how it would shock the little fellows with all the chlorine the citys adds...

I hope everything is going good today...

Shawnie...That Granddaughter of yours is adorable!
Thanks Karen..............Whatever it was, we lost a lot of beautiful fish. Some of my absolute favorites. Oringinals from the start of the tank.......The only thing good that will come from this is you can bet I will NEVER forget to put conditioner in a water change again. ...."Experience is learning from your mistakes"
 
tzqng8
Member
Just thought of something...

When you changed the water the night before this happened, did you use your Python to fill the tank?

Also, does your city water use Chlorine or Chloramine as a treatment option?
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
tzqng8 said:
Just thought of something...

When you changed the water the night before this happened, did you use your Python to fill the tank?

Also, does your city water use Chlorine or Chloramine as a treatment option?
Yeah............But I changed 4 other tanks at the exact same time and there ok with city tap water.
 
tzqng8
Member
Well, my point was that according to Python, if your city water only uses Chlorine, and that is the only thing you are worried about being in your water, you shouldn't even have to use conditioner.

The reason is that the Python aerates the water as it is going into the tank, thusly getting rid of a vast majority of the chlorine in the tap water (the same reason some people "age" their tap water overnight).

Now, if the city uses chloramine, this doesn't work.
 
Shawnie
Member
tzqng8 said:
Well, my point was that according to Python, if your city water only uses Chlorine, and that is the only thing you are worried about being in your water, you shouldn't even have to use conditioner.

The reason is that the Python aerates the water as it is going into the tank, thusly getting rid of a vast majority of the chlorine in the tap water (the same reason some people "age" their tap water overnight).

Now, if the city uses chloramine, this doesn't work.
wow I didnt know that..great info to have...

ty karen on teighans nice comment
 
  • Thread Starter
hockeyref88
Member
Shawnie said:
wow I didnt know that..great info to have...

ty karen on teighans nice comment

That is very interesting................I have however modified the python on my filling. I Don't use the siphon attachment as I feel is huge waste of water. It just runs down my walkway while draining and filling. I don't use it at all on the small tanks 40 and under. Because of the volume of water in all of my tanks and pond I don't like wasting the water. I even try to use the old water for watering plants and such. That's also why I use a submersible pump when not vacuming. I don't like the waste. Thanks for the info though.
 
tzqng8
Member
Hmm. Interesting. When using the Python to FILL my tank, I waste hardly any water and it does aerate the tap water nicely. Since I am only worrying about Chlroine, I get to use a bit less water conditioner. I love it!
 
Top Bottom