external hard drive Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaysee, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I was organizing 10 years of pictures and videos and somehow the external hard drive now says it's corrupted and needs to be reformatted :( Unfortunately my entire music collection was there too.

What can I do?

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I had this happen once, and sent it off to a local tech bloke I know who retrieved all the data. Someone on here might know the way, but I called in a Pro. It's very frustrating when your backup is broken.

3. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Yeah.... I wouldn't be comfortable sending it out....

4. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

I've heard of a program called Getdataback that has worked for people. I'm no expert on the subject but it's got good reviews. It can read raw data when the fat or file structure is messed up.

5. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Oh that would be terrific!

6. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

ask cichlidnut he is very knowledgeable about computers.

7. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

It's not a backup if it isn't in more than 1 location. External drive are more prone to damage than one inside your computer. Just some info for future reference.

I've had luck many times being able to read a "corrupt" windows drive, on linux. You can download ubuntu and boot your computer from the CD without installing anything. If you can access your drive from there, you're probably fine.

I also have some free software for data recovery. I'm not sure how technically inclined you are.

Edit: This is the software I use to recover data  

After you have recovered your data, you can attempt a chkdsk.

Run a dos command prompt as admin, then change your path to the drive in questing (D: for example) Then run chkdsk /f

I have seen some of the most horrific things. People seriously scare me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2012
  8. guppygrl

Very creepy! When I worked in the IT department at a local highschool... I'd find lots of students attempting to do stuff like that. Some crazy and creepy people out there!

9. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

I'm trying it.....

10. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Good luck Jaysee!

11. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Thank you! It worked! Costs $70 for the software....A small price to pay to maintain privacy ;)

12. guppygrl

Yeah!! So happy that worked for you! :)

13. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Mine was free :D

14. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

I missed that...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice