exterior glass cleaning

1. neonblue1980 Member Member

hi everyone,

i read online that you shouldn't use a product like windex on a rag to clean the exterior glass because it can sweep through the glass and harm the fish? NO idea if this is true or not. if so, is there any safe product you CAN use to clean the glass? i find using just water causes it to be quite noticeably streaky.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

A little drop of white vinegar in warm water will clean any grease or water marks off the glass, make sure the cloth is just damp & not overly wet

3. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

If you want to use glass cleaner (I do on my glass tank), I spray the windex into my rag in another room and wipe the exterior glass with the rag. I also label this rag so its only to be used to wipe the exterior of the tank glass so it never touches the inside or tank water.

4. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I have always used windex. It cleans the glass very well

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. FiscCyning Member Member

The windex won't seep through the glass, but it could get into the tank through the air if you are spraying it right by the tank. If you use it, just be sure to put the windex on the paper towel when you are far away from your tank.

You can just use a little vinegar instead. That's what I do and it works wonders.

6. dakota Member Member

I use Windex also. I always spray the rag away from the tank that mist when you spray carrys quite aways. Thanks (Clean Water Means Happy Fish)

7. Dang Well Known Member Member

I mix vinegar with water in a spray bottle works great. I also spray the paper towel in the kitchen then clean the glass of tank which is in living room so I'm not spraying anything around the tank. The vinegar/water dries on it's own very well but I use a dry paper towel to wipe right after as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum