Extending thank you to all members!!

Fishfriendof315

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! If it wasnt for this forum, id be lost with the new species ive been keeping. Sad to say i had not asked the relevant questions and thought i knew it all and tortured at least 2 dozen to a slow death. Im talking bout them there shrimps! Ive never worried about water hardness ever. I have city water so its on the softer side. To get to the point, since the 20 gallon cycled, i add shrimp then lose them. Females always got berried and then disappeared. Been reading on here and the one thing ive been lacking, harder water. No calcium or microminerals and they cant properly molt. Now i know whats been happening. Yesterday had a heck of a time finding mineral rocks so i looked at alternatives to start doing better. TUMS, what i had on hand and can easily get if needed to. Dropped one in and my 4 remaining swarmed it. I started thinking, i havent seen Blue, or my bamboo shrimp, molt in awhile. So i dropped one in the 50 also. Blue loved it! Aint seen him in a feisty mood in a bit

richiep

It may be worth you while getting GH test kit to measure exactly how things are, mineral rocks may not rise things to a safe level, when keeping crustaceans its important to monitor gh/kh/ph

Fishfriendof315

Already on it, tums was just quick fix. Richiep it was one of youre thread answers that got me thinking about it

richiep

Glad to hear it's helped you out and a quick fix is always a good start, feed the crayfish and shrimp with cooked veg and spinach it will help get minerals into them

Fishfriendof315

Lol, i feed most everything naturally now. Helped with my diet also. My clown loaches, puffer, and red tip shark love fresh clams from grocery store, even Blue

richiep

Youve got this sown up

Pfrozen

Its nice to see someone accepting advice :D myself and others have mentioned that cherries need GH 6 or above in multiple threads and the advice usually gets overlooked for whatever reason. Glad you have it sorted :)

Fishfriendof315

I am on the way to better shrimp keeping. Im gonna read up on the leaves. Have oaks all around and disease free. Also alder cones? But made my way to my lfs, no fish again but i have couple being shipped. Sponge is for my aquaclear 110, basket keeps popping up and thinking its from cheap 3 pack.

richiep

Put ½ dozen alder cones in a cup of boiling water for 16minutes, swill with cold water and drop in, they may give a small amount of tannings in the tank but that's good
As for oak leaves they are great just make sure they have completely dried and gone brown about 6 weeks before adding

Fishfriendof315

What do they do and used for? And i did run test on my 50 with Blue, and my 20g shrimp. If i did it right my water has almost no kh whatsoever and gonna find a gh test tomorrow. Places i usually go didnt have any. I do know when i read back of wondershell package, i was amazed, and when placed in both instant activity. 1/4 put in 20g and a whole in 50. I gotta say my water is always pretty close to clear and perfect looking but them shells really made it sharper. It says you can scrub inside of glass to help deter stuff sticking to it. Im hitting that up tomorrow. Came home with a breeder box also. My female black skirt tetra has been quite wide lately.

richiep

I've never used wounder shells so haven't got a clue how they help
If your kh is o-1 I suspect your ph is very low , get your lfs to test them for you as well as the fh

Fishfriendof315

I've never used wounder shells so haven't got a clue how they help
If your kh is o-1 I suspect your ph is very low , get your lfs to test them for you as well as the fh
I did exactly that. Come to find out i actually had a bum kh test. Old faithful(master test kit) was dead on. Today my new gh/kh test kit should be here. Yeah i went for both.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Spazydoo
Replies
Views
snailyfriends
Replies
Views
jamesw6810
Replies
Views