Extended power outage, how to help betta stay warm enough

Mamastacia3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone,

I live in Northern California and there are extended power outages happening bc of fire danger and an actual fire creeping closer to town. We are on evacuation alert and I’ve got betta Simon’s escape cup plus a one gallon tank for temporary evacuation home, so we’re all set there.

But...while we wait it out our power will be out for several days (up to five days possibly), Simon doesn’t have his filter, oxygen bubbles, or heater. Most concerned about the heater. I tried adding warm/hot water with a turkey baster throughout his tank to bring up the temp but this morning it was 68 (usually I keep it at a solid steady 78).

I’ve been doing small water changes and taking out cooler water and slowly adding very warm water (carefully avoiding Simon and disbursing the water all around). That eventually raised the temp to about 72 but it’s falling again. I know inconsistent temps are worse than a regular cooler temp, at least temporarily, but a) how long will he be okay at temps between 68-72, and b) any ideas for warming his water without literally camping out at his tank with a warm water drip? To keep it steady that’s what I’d need to do, constantly add warmer water.

So thoughts/feedback/advice appreciated, thank you!!

-Staci

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Wrap tank in bankets, put him in warmest room in the house.

If you can get your hands on a battery operated air pump that would be great.

Mamastacia3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Added question: we do have friends the next town over who have power. Do you think it would be less stressful to bring Simon to their house in his temporary tank but with heater and filter, or try to make him as comfortable as possible without either? Thanks in advance!

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think 68 would be okay temporarily. My advice would be don’t keep adding warmer water because the temperature variation will stress him out. I’ve had to keep bettas at room temperature for up to a week and they were fine. I’d say if the power stays out for more than a week and you can’t get a battery powered heater, it would be best to bring him to your friends for a while.

hubbsmason

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don’t have a heater with either of my Betta fish. It might just take some time for him to get used to it. Try to keep it as warm as possible.

MissPanda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Bettas are extremely hardy so you have that going for you. I had them my whole life and the majority of that I was an ignorant bum that kept them in vases with no heaters or filters and I live in Canada. They always survived in the worst of conditions. If the temp is dropping, its dropping slowly so it's not putting him into shock dropping from 78 to 68 super fast. It's happening over a period of time so hes acclimating while its dropping. You're prob doing worse if you're jumping the temp from 68 up to 78 and then back down.

goldengirls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wrapped a thick towel around my betta tank to keep some warmth in. The power should be back on Tuesday so it won’t be cold for an extended period of time. If you’re really worried, you can compensate by raising the heat in your home (if you are able). I briefly considered buying some heat packs but it’s probably unnecessary.

Mamastacia3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, thanks so much for the helpful advice! I did try wrapping his tank in thick towels and that worked for a night but we had a cold snap along with the power outage, with the next day temps in the 50s in the house. So off he went, evacuated to a friend's house in the next town over with his temporary 2-gallon bowl, heater, mini jerry-rigged sponge filter/bubbler combo. Happy as a little clam, and my friends fell in love with him. Four days later power was restored and now I'm working on making sure his regular tank is ready for moving back in. Thanks again!

Debbie1986

Valued Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear all is well now! So sorry you all went through that in Cali.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom