Exploding Moss Ball

smee82

I had 3 marimo moss balls all a bit bigger then a golf ball that have all decided to break apart so now I have a dozen ugly looking moss matts in my tank.

How do I get them to return to a ball shape and also is this natural propagation for moss balls

NanaW

Do you occasionally roll them around I roll mine every time I clean my tank, not for sure that that is what keeps them together but was to it was, try rolling them again and putting them back in the tank

smee82

I rolled them every water change. They have completely fallen apart.

Bryangar

That isn’t normal for them to explode..You sure your fish didn’t tear it apart? I’m not too sure on how they propagate in the wild, but I think that any tiny piece will eventually become its own ball. So you can roll each piece into a ball, or try to squish them all together again.

Repolie

That isn’t normal for them to explode..You sure your fish didn’t tear it apart? I’m not too sure on how they propagate in the wild, but I think that any tiny piece will eventually become its own ball. So you can roll each piece into a ball, or try to squish them all together again.
Ding ding! Correct.

Yeah they aren't supposed to be falling apart. It's either your force them back into a ball together, make them their own individual balls, or glue them all back together with superglue. The last option would make an ugly ball though.

fish 321

Goldfish especially love to tear up moss balls.

CanadianFishFan

Ive had many moss balls from many different, what's the word... Moss ball breeders? (Or suppliers ) If anything they explode with little stringy bits because they are made out of algae. Where did you buy it from?

smee82

Not sure if fish are the cause could be the sae or denison barbs. I tried rolling one of the bigger matts into a ball but it fell apart more

Ive had many moss balls from many different, what's the word... Moss ball breeders? (Or suppliers ) If anything they explode with little stringy bits because they are made out of algae. Where did you buy it from?

Marimo moss balls are algae not moss..

Bryangar

Not sure if fish are the cause could be the sae or denison barbs. I tried rolling one of the bigger matts into a ball but it fell apart more

Marimo moss balls are algae not moss..
You might have to roll each piece into it’s own ball.

smee82

A quick search on the net and it seems like in the wild they also form free floating tufts so I'm guess that's what's happening to mine. Hopefully they don't get eaten by the sae and shrimp and grow back.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
Irhiea
Replies
Views
IcewolfBlizzard
Replies