Exploding Heater Inquiry

Scott23

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I've decided to get one of Marineland's older heater models, the glass Visa-Therm. However, as I know I'm still running a risk of it exploding, how great is the impact? If it shattered the glass, would it be enough to send glass flying at me? My tank is right next to where I sit to use my laptop, so I do not want to get a heater if it's going to risk my life. I may be being paranoid, but learning about the recent Marineland fiasco I can't help but be concerned.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have three Visi-Therm heaters, all bought used at various times and I have never had an issue with any of them outside of my 150W that is slowing starting to die, but it's the oldest of the three, so I'm not entirely surprised.

Fitz

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a heater also that's a hang on the back. And I'm afraid to use it also. But I'm afraid it's going to blow up. Or break or something and shock all my fish, or maybe start a house fire. That's why I'm waiting on it.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Scott23 said:
So I've decided to get one of Marineland's older heater models, the glass Visa-Therm. However, as I know I'm still running a risk of it exploding, how great is the impact? If it shattered the glass, would it be enough to send glass flying at me? My tank is right next to where I sit to use my laptop, so I do not want to get a heater if it's going to risk my life. I may be being paranoid, but learning about the recent Marineland fiasco I can't help but be concerned.
I wouldn't go with any of the Marineland heaters, personally. Ebo Jagers are really excellent for the money and I have never had any trouble out of any of mine, nor did I have any issues working at my friend's shop a couple years ago (all 50 of the Freshwater tanks there used them). I've also heard good things about Fluval Tronics and Hydor ETH Inlines (the Hydors are only good if you use a canister). It seems as though Marineland's quality has really gone down since Tetra bought them out. I won't be buying any more of their products until they rectify these situations. As always, this is JMO.

OP
S

Scott23

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The Jagers seem a bit too big for my 10 gallon, though.

fishingman001

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Scott23 said:
I have a 200 watt visa-therm on my 55 that I have had for a couple years with no problems.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sadly, VisI Therm is the only brand I've ever had cook a tank full of fish.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a visitherm in one of my tanks, but I underpower the heat in my tanks so even if it does go full blast it won't do anything, just hope it doesn't explode. Although I think that exploding thing is a freak occurrence.

I have a 100w jager in a few 10 gallon tanks and it works just fine, it's overkill though, could use a smaller heater if I found them cheap enough, the heater itself is so large that it takes up a good bit of space in the tank.

OP
S

Scott23

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thankfully, my room is usually pretty warm, so I'll only be using the heater when it's really cold. I will keep an eye on it all day though. My Visi-Therm should be here any day now. Wish me luck, guys! Let's hope I don't dynamite my fish out of the tank the first day.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey Scott, I didn't mean to scare you off of the visi-therm. I'm sure there are people out there that have had their share of issues with the Jagers, I just don't happen to be one of them! LOL. Best of luck with your new heater! One suggestion I would make is to start VERY low, as in just bump up the temp enough for the heater to turn on and see what happens. IME most of the thermostats on heaters can't be trusted and you just have to find a setting that works for you.

OP
S

Scott23

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks! And you didn't scare me, don't worry. I'll take all this advice and use it to make the most of my heater. The low setting sounds like a very good idea.

OP
S

Scott23

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Quick question regarding the heater. If I put it over the air stone, will it cause the heater to overeat and malfunction as if it were functioning out of the water? Thanks.

fishingman001

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Scott23 said:
Quick question regarding the heater. If I put it over the air stone, will it cause the heater to overeat and malfunction as if it were functioning out of the water? Thanks.
No it will be fine. Most people put it near air stones to create a lot of water flow so the heater does not burn the fish.

OP
S

Scott23

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok. Thanks. I just know it's not supposed to be exposed to air and didn't know if the air stone would affect that.

Cfl Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Go to youtube they have a video of a heater exploding against a eheim jager. I will most likely destroy your tank.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Selecting a heater can be hit or miss so to speak. I've been using Marineland Stealth Pros since December 2009, 3 in my 265g tank with no issues.

I've also used the Jagers with no issues. I have Visa Therms with no issues.

Some heaters, over heat, some don't heat enough. Some of the glass ones crack but others don't.

I prefer heaters that are NOT glass. If the glass shatters in the tank it can be a pain trying to remove it all.

Ken

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cfl Mike said:
Go to youtube they have a video of a heater exploding against a eheim jager. I will most likely destroy your tank.
I assume you mean exploding Jager heater? I can't find any videos like this, got a link?

Aquanero

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use only Stealth heaters, black plastic fully submersible. I place them on a 45 degree angle towards the bottom of the tank on the opposite side of the tank from the canister filter out flow or directly underneath a HOB filter so there is always a water flow over them to disperse the heat. Placing the heater on a 45 degree angle allows the heater to work more efficiently and hold a more accurate temperature than vertical since heat rises. On a vertically mounted heater the heat rises and turns the heater off before the water reaches the set temp causing inaccurate temp readings and most often the temp setting is increased to compensate shorting the life of the heater by making it work much harder than is necessary. One way to make sure your heater doesn't over heat or explode is to make sure it is unplugged or turned off during water changes

New Threads