exploding fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by soarl, Dec 30, 2012.

1. soarl

soarl Valued Member Member

Ok...so I tossed an algae wafer in the tank for my snails but my GloFish seem to go crazy for them as well. There are a couple of them that have eaten so much you can see their stomach's have swelled tremendously. They won't really eat and eat and eat until they pop will they? I mean..I can't imagine them exploding but all of them are starting to look rather rotund!

2. OP
    OP
    soarl

Here's a couple pic's of my fatty's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C Well Known Member Member

is that a bubble stone bar? if so how are you getting the bubbles so evenly flowing on the bar... if you look at my gallery you can see what mine is doing a little bubbles on one side and a lot on the other.

4. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

They can eat until their stomach's rupture i suppose. They probably wouldn't explode but their internal organ could pop or split. Just fast em until they get better.

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I've never heard of a fsh actually exploding.
    Looks like your little piggies could do with some fasting.
    Be aware of any constipation issues from eating too much.

Hi Anthony welcome to FishLore :)

This question can be asked via profile message rather than taking the thread off topic.

6. OP
    OP
    soarl

Hmm...is there something you can do if they become constipated? Fishy laxative? lol...I don't know...Now I need to find a way to get rid of the algae wafer because they won't stop picking at it. Any ideas on how I might give access to the snails but keep it out of reach of the fish?

P.S. Anthony....I tried to PM you on the bubble wands but you have them turned off. Shoot me a PM and we can chat about it.

Edit: Ok...so I just vacuumed out the remnants of the wafer. We'll see how the fish do. I suppose I can skip feeding for a couple days until their tummy's shrink back down to normal.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Members have to have 50 posts in order to pm.
    Click on Anthony's name and chat via profile message :)

Fasting should take care of it.
    If they do become constipated give them a bits of the inside of a frozen (thawed) pea.

You can use a turkey baster to suck the algae wafer out. It should be soft enough.
    The snails can scrounge around.

8. mcrousse

mcrousse Valued Member Member

I have 2 neons that do the same thing! They are little piggies. They go nuts over frozen bloodworms.

9. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Daphnia is also supposed to act as a laxitive for fish.

10. AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C Well Known Member Member

Well I am at 60 so let me see how things work

11. OP
    OP
    soarl

Well it's been a couple day's and my fish no longer look bloated or pregnant. Thanks for easing my exploding fish fears!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice