expired nitrite bottle?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by jersey, Apr 8, 2010.

1. jersey

jerseyValued MemberMember

im just wondering how do i know if its expired. i bought it at this petstore which seems kinda sketchy because the bottle was leaking and the package says its api 2007 on it but by bottle says api 2006. but the lot number is 26 on the bottle. does anyone know what that means?

2. ppate1977

ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

That should list the production date. I think they last about 3 years.

3. flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

There should be a multi number lot number on the bottle. The last four digits of this number are the date of manufacture. The reagent is good for three years after this date.

4. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

With the API liquid tests the lot numbers are 2 numbers, a letter and then 4 numbers. The last 4 numbers are the two digit month and two digit year the bottle was manufactured. For example, the lot numbers on one of my bottles is 27A0609. The numbers you want to look for is the 0609 which means that this bottle was manufactured the 6th month (June) of 2009. API tests are supposed to be good for up to 3 years from that date. So in my example my test expires in June of 2012.

5. OP
    OP
    jersey

jerseyValued MemberMember

i have only LOT 26 on my bottle haha. i could take a picture and post it if i can find my camera. it has no other numbers.

6. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

I have read that the bottles are only good for one year and was told by my LFS worker that the bottle was only good for one year. I have a high range pH bottle that gives me false readings right now with a manufacture date as 04-09. Perhaps someone can back me up on this?

7. flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

Here is the answer from API on this subject. The entire thread is posted in the test kit section of this forum, this is just a quoted paragraph from API

"Your solutions are not expired. Each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed
    on the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of
    manufacture. Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured
    in January of 2002. Pond Care Wide Range pH, ammonia, High Range pH,
    Nitrate, phosphate, Copper, calcium and GH all last for three years.
    nitrite and KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH(low range) and
    Pond Care Salt Level will last for five years. I would not trust these
    kits after they have expired."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice