Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Expiration Date For Seachem Prime?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Libby Carthew, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Libby CarthewNew MemberMember

Hi! I dont really know if this counts as cleaning equipment, but I was wondering if there was an expiration date for seachem prime. I bought some a while ago thinking that my old water conditioner was about to run out, but it lasted longer than I thought, so the prime kind of just sat there, I think I used it once when I first got it. That was a couple of months ago, and when I finally opened it again today to use it, it smelled really bad, like something rotten was in there or someone farted or something. I know thats a weird description sorry. Did it go off? Should I not use it?

2. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Seachem claims that as long as you store it properly, it will last indefinitely. It's also normal for it to smell really bad because it has sulfur in it.

3. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

My Prime purchased January of last year lost 15% of its effectiveness between the time it was last tested in November and now. I thought it might be that the chemistry of my tap water changed so it was more difficult to dechlorinate but another dechlorinator was apparently unaffected.

I have an ancient jug of Pond Prime that I've been meaning to test.