Experiment at petco

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LeoDiaz, Jul 14, 2015.

1. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Went to my local petco today to waste time, and look for to see how many people i could help. Look around an the first guy i saw waas deeply starring into the tank for sale. I asked him "getting a new tank" He said "yea" and walk away from me. So i carried on looking for someone else to help while the first guy was walking around like he didnt knew what he needed/wanted. Found someone else to help a father and his 2 kids were looking at the fish. So i started talking to them turns out they have a tank around 10gals with goldfish or koi who knows. And they were looking to buy some sort of catfish. Explain to them that they couldnt have goldfish in such a small tank/not to mix tropical fish and coldwater fish and etc. The told me thanx for the info an I carried on. found another Dad and his 2 kids buying supplies for 5.5gallon goldfish tank they wanted to make told them the basic again. Told me thanx too but still but the tank and supplies. And the other guy with kids ended up buying a common pleco and a cory cat. So out of the 3 people i help i really help none.

2. a

alittlebard New Member Member

That is super frustrating. PetCo should start listing minimum tank size for every fish like PetSmart does.

3. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Even when you tell them they dont listen might aswell be talking to the wall.

4. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Unsolicited advice about anything is not often met with open arms. I understand you are trying to help. But if I were an employee there I would have asked you to buy something or leave.

5. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Ohh ik all the workers there, sometimes i just talk to the manager about fish. but i learn my lesson not to help out ppl anymore.

6. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Aw, at least you tried. :;hug2 You had your heart in it, now it's up to them to make the choice. I think the thing with a lot of people is that they trust the employee's advice because they view them as "knowledgeable" and "experienced" with fish (some of them actually are), and won't listen to someone that just walks up to them and starts telling them what to do. But hey, it's like the saying, "You can lead a horse to water, you just can't make him drink."

7. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Yea i notice that the only time i will be able to give advice will be to work there.

8. BornThisWayBettas

Are you planning to take a job there?

9. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Im "underage" supposely lol.

10. BornThisWayBettas

How old do you have to be to work there?

11. pji2100

pji2100 New Member Member

I saw one guy buy everything at once at a LFS tank gravel filter 20 fish. I was freaking out in my head. The owner was helping the guy. All the owner could see was dollar signs. I wouldn't listen to LFS. They are there to make money. It's great we have a forum like this because you can learn so much. My LFS wouldn't even explain anything.

12. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

You have to be 18years old. And most petstore around me have the same policy except Petsuppliesplus.

13. BornThisWayBettas

Hmm. Guess I couldn't work there either........ What about when you're older? Going to work there then?

Oh, welcome to Fish Lore, pji2100!!!

14. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

I understand completely. I have often wanted to help those people who are making misinformed/uninformed decisions in the fish section. But I know if I were them, why would I trust or believe someone that just walked up to me and tries to tell me what they think is right? Heck, my dad is more inclined to believe the employees than me....

What I have started doing is when I am going to go to the LPS/LFS I will have a few slips of paper with the following typed up.

Hello! I see you just purchased a new tank or fish. Congrats on joining the hobby! It can be very exciting and relaxing, but it can also be frustrating and disappointing. If you have any problems with your tank, equipment or fish, come join me on FishLore.com forums. It is a large community of fish keepers that help each other through struggles!

I will casually give them to people whom I see make those "bad decisions".

15. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Proably if the manager still there. Alink i gave up on try to help people they can figure it out themselfs. Is there tank and they can do watever they want with it.

16. BornThisWayBettas

Yeah, I guess so. :/ Too bad, it sounds like they'll have to learn the hard way though, but at least you gave them fair warning, so......

17. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

The worst part the last guy i try helping i told him he will need a filter. He said it doesnt matter the fish are going to die either way.

18. BornThisWayBettas

Wow, seriously?! How can people not be affected by the loss of their own pets??

19. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Yea, i think the dad was doing for the kids no for him. He could careless about the fish.

20. BornThisWayBettas

Maybe the kids were too young to understand the concept of death?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice