Experiences With Thread Fin Rainbows?

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by redman77, May 21, 2019.

1. redman77

redman77Valued MemberMember

I was thinking about getting some Bosemani rainbowfish for my tank when I stumbled across pictures of Threadfin Rainbows. They look very interesting and everything I've read about them says that they're beautiful and very active and interesting fish. My LFS has offered to order some for me.

I'd be interested in hearing from people who have experiences keeping thread fin rainbows. Did you enjoy the fish? I've read all the profiles I can find, but any tips or tricks I should know about these?

What are people's general thoughts of the threadfin vs. the Bosemani?

I have a 75 gallon lightly stocked (at the moment) tank

Any info or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Lajos

LajosValued MemberMember

Yes, I have a group of Threadfin Rainbows.
    They are unique and very interesting fish.
    The males will challenge each other by opening up their fins.
    They remind me of the male Bettas that will open their fins whenever they saw other male Bettas.
    They have slight orange on their tail with beautiful bright yellow eyes.
    You will never get tired of watching their unique displays and beautiful eyes, tail and long filaments.

I don't have experience with Bosemani Rainbows.

I almost wanted to recommend a group of Satanoperca Leucosticta to you. They are under the category of Earth eaters.
    But I realized that they may need bigger than 75gallons for fully grown up.

They are very beautiful fish and will grow up to 5-6" but some will be larger.

http://www.aquariumdomain.com/viewSpeciesFreshwater.php?id=25Earth

You can search the youtube for more videos or videos of Threadfin Rainbows.

Sorry I am unable to post the link.

3. OP
    OP
    redman77

redman77Valued MemberMember

Wow, those are beautiful. I think you're right, though, that they're too big for my tank. But thanks for all of your input! I am going to pickup a school of threadfins tomorrow.

4. Jeff041419

Jeff041419New MemberMember

I'm also interested in threadfins, but for me it would mean getting another tank, and in the available space I can only go about 25 gallons. Unless I rent a warehouse, lol. So I wanted to ask people who have experience with them, is 25 gallons big enough?

5. Lajos

LajosValued MemberMember

According to the website below, you need at least 2 feet by 1 feet tank.
    So, 25 gallons is good with taller height since they stay at the top most of the time.

But if you can get longer than 2 feet will be even better especially when they grow to their maximum size.
    My fish are still small but I saw some big size Threadfin in some fish stores.

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/iriatherina-werneri/

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  6. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

I’ve got bosemani rainbows and they are very nice fish that get to about 4-5 inches long. They would be great in your 75. Threadfins are a lot smaller and thinner. You could have about 30 in a 75. I’ve got a school of 10 forktails in my 45 and they too are very nice if your looking for the smaller fish.

7. Lajos

LajosValued MemberMember

Yes, Fortails are beautiful.

8. nbalaw2016

nbalaw2016Valued MemberMember

As I mentioned in another thread, I have 10 forktails in a 45. They look great. I imagine 20-25 of them in a 75 would be quite stunning.