Experiences With Grapewood?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I've heard it breaks down very quickly in an aquarium environment, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience using it.

I am not sure how quickly it breaks down, but I know woods like cholla don't even last a year in some tanks and we use that anyway.

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had flat chunks in my tank for several years before I stole it to use for my hermits. No major breakdown during the time they were underwater. I just added another branch about a month ago and expect it to last for a while. Grape will break down much faster than hardwoods, but my clown plecos adore it and it is easy enough to get more.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
wodesorel said:
I had flat chunks in my tank for several years before I stole it to use for my hermits. No major breakdown during the time they were underwater. I just added another branch about a month ago and expect it to last for a while. Grape will break down much faster than hardwoods, but my clown plecos adore it and it is easy enough to get more.
Would you recommend it for shrimp?

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Around here people use it for BBQ.

I've never put it in a tank, and I don't keep shrimp, but I know that when you burn it is much less than noxious than Manzanita wood, for instance.

Sandblasted grapewood is widely sold in the small fish stores here, because we live at the edge of the world's largest collection of vinyards.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Ulu said:
Around here people use it for BBQ.

I've never put it in a tank, and I don't keep shrimp, but I know that when you burn it is much less than noxious than Manzanita wood, for instance.

Sandblasted grapewood is widely sold in the small fish stores here, because we live at the edge of the world's largest collection of vinyards.
We sell it at our shop but it's labeled as "forest branch" and meant more for reptile or hermit crab habitats.

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm actually using a "forest branch" as it was the cleanest I could find. I presoaked in a bucket for about a month so it sunk when I was ready for it.
884e3309be8a662412df6a367b0b156e.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom