Experience With Marineland Penguin 350 On A 29 Gallon Tank?

1. m

marcin New Member Member

Hi! I was wondering if anyone had any experience with running a Marineland Penguin 350 on a 29 gallon tank? It is rated for 50-70 gallons and I know filtration is the more the merrier, but I am worried about the current being too strong?
    I purchased it without thinking and was wondering if people have tried this setup before?
    I plan on cycling the tank then stocking it with:
    6 harlequin rasboras,
    8 neon tetras
    2 honey gouramis
    6 panda cories
    Im worried most about the gouramis I read somewhere they prefer a slow current?
    Thanks

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

I don't really like Marineland filters, they're loud and you can't adjust the flow. I think the 350 would really blow your fish around.

3. OP
    OP
    m

marcin New Member Member

What would you recommend instead?

4. Lisa Barry

Lisa Barry New Member Member

If you already have it, you can baffle it. I use plastic water bottles cut to size. If you are looking for a filter, I personally like the new-ish Seachem Tidal. You can adjust the flow and the big plus, it's self priming. Aqua Clear is also always a good reliable filter.

5. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I use only Marineland filters and have for years and years. I do not understand all the reports of noise. Be sure to use lube the wheel pins.
    On the 29 when we had it setup we had a Penguin 350 and a Mag 350 canister for 700 gph filtration. It was a guppy aquarium. The guppies are now in a 37 with the same filtration. No problems :)

7. OP
    OP
    m

marcin New Member Member

Thanks everyone! Decided to go with Aquaclear 70 as it had adjustable flow :)

8. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I have the Marineland Penguin Bio Wheel 350 on a 29G. I have guppies, neon tetras, platies, a bn pleco, and a nursery tank with 6 platy fry in it. They all do just fine. I was worried about the nursery box floating around in the current but it doesn't. It stays in the corner.

9. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I have the AquaClear 70 on my goldie tank. The only I don't like is that it does not self prime. Every time I clean the tank I have to jiggle the intake valve and fight with it to get it going again. It does a great job cleaning the tank though.

10. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

i use the peguin 350 on my 29 and it works great, but is a peice of junk lol what i mean is, its a great filter for a few months, then yu need to start replacing parts such as the impeller, which cost almost the same as the filter itself. so i would go a dirrerant route if u can. like i said its a great filter, if your willing to replace parts after only a few months of use. iv had mine for 4 months, already wishy washy. so for the price up front its wonderful, but not worth it long term

11. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

what needs to get lubed up. mine seems very quiet, than last week i thought something was wrong with impeller, so i messed with it by pulling up on the intak tube and its doing better, but this is just a short term solution. what would you suggest. its a marineland penguin 350 hob double bio wheel . ant suggestions? sorry to highjack this post but i read he decided to go a differant route, and didnt think it would be an issue. if it is ill mke a new post and tag you if you dont mind

EDIT TO ADD: the reason i felt something was wrong is out of nowhere it started making a loud grinding noise, so i cleaned all the parts and put them back, and same problem, but when i lifted the intake tube ever so slightly it was fine. but it does settle back into place every now and again, so i just lift it again and noise seemingly stops

12. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Lube the pins on each end of the bio wheels.

I have heard that some of the newer ones can make noise. But all of ours are years old.