Experience With Marineland Penguin 350 On A 29 Gallon Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcin

Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if anyone had any experience with running a Marineland Penguin 350 on a 29 gallon tank? It is rated for 50-70 gallons and I know filtration is the more the merrier, but I am worried about the current being too strong?
I purchased it without thinking and was wondering if people have tried this setup before?
I plan on cycling the tank then stocking it with:
6 harlequin rasboras,
8 neon tetras
2 honey gouramis
6 panda cories
Im worried most about the gouramis I read somewhere they prefer a slow current?
Thanks

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't really like Marineland filters, they're loud and you can't adjust the flow. I think the 350 would really blow your fish around.

Lisa Barry

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you already have it, you can baffle it. I use plastic water bottles cut to size. If you are looking for a filter, I personally like the new-ish Seachem Tidal. You can adjust the flow and the big plus, it's self priming. Aqua Clear is also always a good reliable filter.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use only Marineland filters and have for years and years. I do not understand all the reports of noise. Be sure to use lube the wheel pins.
On the 29 when we had it setup we had a Penguin 350 and a Mag 350 canister for 700 gph filtration. It was a guppy aquarium. The guppies are now in a 37 with the same filtration. No problems

Last edited:

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have the AquaClear 70 on my goldie tank. The only I don't like is that it does not self prime. Every time I clean the tank I have to jiggle the intake valve and fight with it to get it going again. It does a great job cleaning the tank though.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i use the peguin 350 on my 29 and it works great, but is a peice of junk lol what i mean is, its a great filter for a few months, then yu need to start replacing parts such as the impeller, which cost almost the same as the filter itself. so i would go a dirrerant route if u can. like i said its a great filter, if your willing to replace parts after only a few months of use. iv had mine for 4 months, already wishy washy. so for the price up front its wonderful, but not worth it long term

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use only Marineland filters and have for years and years. I do not understand all the reports of noise. Be sure to use lube the wheel pins.
On the 29 when we had it setup we had a Penguin 350 and a Mag 350 canister for 700 gph filtration. It was a guppy aquarium. The guppies are now in a 37 with the same filtration. No problems
what needs to get lubed up. mine seems very quiet, than last week i thought something was wrong with impeller, so i messed with it by pulling up on the intak tube and its doing better, but this is just a short term solution. what would you suggest. its a marineland penguin 350 hob double bio wheel . ant suggestions? sorry to highjack this post but i read he decided to go a differant route, and didnt think it would be an issue. if it is ill mke a new post and tag you if you dont mind

EDIT TO ADD: the reason i felt something was wrong is out of nowhere it started making a loud grinding noise, so i cleaned all the parts and put them back, and same problem, but when i lifted the intake tube ever so slightly it was fine. but it does settle back into place every now and again, so i just lift it again and noise seemingly stops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom