Experience With Fluval 206? Help

1. CPARKTX Member Member

I would be very interested hearing the feedback of anyone who has a Fluval 206. Additionally, I am curious what size tank you have and if you feel the filter has adequate or more than adequate filtration for your tank. (Given the flow rate and voluminous media capacity, I am surprised it is only rated for 40 gallons)

2. fissh Well Known Member Member

I'm surprised it's rated for 40 gallons! a 206 would be hard pressed to do 30 gallons in the real world!

3. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I have one on my thirty gallon. It is a really great filter and will do just fine on a forty gallon. It is easy to clean and maintenance ( which I do about every three weeks). What is nice about this canister filter is that it has four sponges for mechanical filtration, so when one gets nasty and you are starting to lose flow, you can trade it out (one at a time) with a new one and you will not lose your cycle.

4. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Huh?? I have had it on my 30 gallon for three years and it works wonderfully...

5. fissh Well Known Member Member

Wow, I'm glad you like it so much! It's really a matter of opinion.

6. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

I have the 306 on my 55, had a sun sun but sold it because all it did was trickle out no matter what i did.

7. fissh Well Known Member Member

I run a total of 50 sunsun canisters and never had a leak, I wonder why that is? ( just lucky I guess) I run 7 Fluval FX 6's and have had more problems with them than 50 sunsun's. The fluval 206 threw 406 are good filters, but cost too much, and you stuck with using Fluval cartridges. Just my opinion :)

8. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

The sun sun is very cost effective yes, a lot of filter for your money and good media space but, just look at the cheap hard plastic and you must have noticed the flow rate is diabolical, they 100% need a power head in the tank to supplement some circulation or an internal filter, fluval 06 range is great you will probably never replace them entry sponges just give them a good clean one at a time and the 3 trays you do as you please with. Fluval are the way forward for your average joe with 1 or 2 display tanks in his house, you can feel the quality in the parts, i also hated the cheap tacky green hose my sun sun had. Just my opinion though :)

9. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Okay, so it is not that the 206 is an inadequate filter for the OP's purpose's, but that it is too expensive?

10. fissh Well Known Member Member

In my opinion a 206 is under powered for a 40 gallon. I have run 6 406's and think they're over rated. PS I was a Fluval platinum dealer for 26 years and have sold around 10,000 fluval canisters over the years and I do feel like a trader, but I think the Fluval 6 series is overpriced and over rated.

11. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I understand now.