Experience with API Fungus Cure?

SeaMonkey06

My betta has this dirty cotton wool stuff on his tail which I assume is Columnaris. I have moved him into my qt tank and was wondering if API Fungus Cure could treat him? Could it harm him in any way? What is everyone's experience?

Thanks!

DoubleDutch

My betta has this dirty cotton wool stuff on his tail which I assume is Columnaris. I have moved him into my qt tank and was wondering if API Fungus Cure could harm him in any way? What is everyone's experience?

Thanks!
Columnaris is a bacteria, not a fungus.

mattgirl

Lots of times we reach for medications when pristine water may do a much better job. I would try that first before subjecting him to any medication.

SeaMonkey06

Lots of times we reach for medications when pristine water may do a much better job. I would try that first before subjecting him to any medication.
I have tried 20% water changes daily and have had no success He's only gotten worse

mattgirl

I have tried 20% water changes daily and have had no success He's only gotten worse
20% isn't much. When dealing with a sick fish I would be changing out much more. How long have you been dealing with this?

SeaMonkey06

20% isn't much. When dealing with a sick fish I would be changing out much more. How long have you been dealing with this?
Since I got him about a week and a bit ago.
At first, I thought it was fin rot and then the cotton wool-like stuff began growing on his tail and I'm really not sure

mattgirl

Since I got him about a week and a bit ago.
At first, I thought it was fin rot and then the cotton wool-like stuff began growing on his tail and I'm really not sure
Poor little guy. There is no telling what all he went through before you got him. If it were me I would add a little bit of aquarium salt. I would start with 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. I would also change out no less than 50% of his water every other day. Some folks really frown upon using salt in a freshwater tank but it does have its uses. Be sure to fully dissolve the salt crystals before adding it to the tank.

You may have to resort to a medication if you don't see any improvement in a week or so. Keep the lights off in his tank if he seems even a tiny bit stressed with it on. You want to keep him as calm as you can. Stress can cause a lot of problems.

SeaMonkey06

Poor little guy. There is no telling what all he went through before you got him. If it were me I would add a little bit of aquarium salt. I would start with 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. I would also change out no less than 50% of his water every other day. Some folks really frown upon using salt in a freshwater tank but it does have its uses. Be sure to fully dissolve the salt crystals before adding it to the tank.

You may have to resort to a medication if you don't see any improvement in a week or so.
I know right It's such a cruel industry

Okay, thank you. Would salt baths work, or just straight adding salt? I'll keep him in the qt tank as it will also be easier to keep it clean. I'll make sure I change the water and hopefully his health improves...
Thanks again

mattgirl

I know right It's such a cruel industry

Okay, thank you. Would salt baths work, or just straight adding salt? I'll keep him in the qt tank as it will also be easier to keep it clean. I'll make sure I change the water and hopefully his health improves...
Thanks again
I would add the salt to the tank. what size it his QT? Is there room in there for some kinds of decor?

SeaMonkey06

I would add the salt to the tank. what size it his QT? Is there room in there for some kinds of decor?
It's about 31Litres/8.2 Gallons so I reckon I could fit some in.

(I have to use storage tubs as qt tanks (I make sure their food safe and fitted with filters, air pumps and heaters if needed) as tanks, where I live, are CRAZY expensive)

mattgirl

It's about 31Litres/8.2 Gallons so I reckon I could fit some in.

(I have to use storage tubs as qt tanks (I make sure their food safe and fitted with filters, air pumps and heaters if needed) as tanks, where I live, are CRAZY expensive)
There is nothing wrong with using storage tubs. That is what I use for grow out tanks. I have one set up right now for my pleco fry.

Since you are going to be adding salt, live plants probably wouldn't be a good idea but if you have some silk or even plastic if they have no sharp edges you might consider adding them. Give the little guy some hiding spots where he can feel safe.

SeaMonkey06

There is nothing wrong with using storage tubs. That is what I use for grow out tanks. I have one set up right now for my pleco fry.

Since you are going to be adding salt, live plants probably wouldn't be a good idea but if you have some silk or even plastic if they have no sharp edges you might consider adding them. Give the little guy some hiding spots where he can feel safe.
I'll pop in a couple of his favourite silk plants. Thanks so much!

SeaMonkey06

Hello mattgirl,

I was wondering if you could please direct me. My bettas fin is almost gone now despite doing 50-75% water changes daily

A couple of minutes ago I noticed a bit of his top fin floating in the water! I'm really stressed, as he's not improving at all.

Would it be time for medication? And if so, what kind?

Thanks so much!

EDIT: I have been trying to find aquarium salt, but the weirdest thing is I can't find any! I've tried my LPS, and my closest fish store is almost an hour away...

20200106_151906.jpg
20200106_151853.jpg
20200106_151722.jpg

juniperlea

Columnaris is a bacteria, not a fungus.
If it's bacterial, what should one do? As a human, I'd prefer a fungal infection rather than a bactrial infection.

mattgirl

Hello mattgirl,

I was wondering if you could please direct me. My bettas fin is almost gone now despite doing 50-75% water changes daily

A couple of minutes ago I noticed a bit of his top fin floating in the water! I'm really stressed, as he's not improving at all.

Would it be time for medication? And if so, what kind?

Thanks so much!

EDIT: I have been trying to find aquarium salt, but the weirdest thing is I can't find any! I've tried my LPS, and my closest fish store is almost an hour away...

Poor little guy It does look it is time for medication and I wish I could give advice as to which one but I know next to nothing about any of the medications available since I've never used any of them.

It is strange that you can't get aquarium salt as it is one of the most popular things sold for the aquarium hobby. Where are you located? Not actual address of course. Are you in the US and if so can you possibly order some salt through Chewy, amazon or even petco?

SeaMonkey06

Poor little guy It does look it is time for medication and I wish I could give advice as to which one but I know next to nothing about any of the medications available since I've never used any of them.

It is strange that you can't get aquarium salt as it is one of the most popular things sold for the aquarium hobby. Where are you located? Not actual address of course. Are you in the US and if so can you possibly order some salt through Chewy, amazon or even petco?
That's alright, thank you

I thought it strange too. I'm in where not many people are into this amazing hobby yet fishtanks are extremely pricey...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
yongles
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Repolie
Replies
Views