Experience of losing a dog

PhantomSlayer

When I was about 10 I convinced my parents that I wanted a dog. I originally wanted a small dog and my parents found one at the shelter but upon a few days it was clear he was not suited for being around children. After returning him my parents finally took me with them and we found two adorable males in the same kennel brothers. Then one started to eat poop and I chose the one who hadn't lol. It took a few days but I settled on the name Xander Mander. We were told he was a black lab brindle shepherd.

Through my mistakes and through growing up with my parents beloved dog child Sassy, Xander became the best dog a girl could ask for. He had some faults but it was pretty adorable at the way he would bark and hide while any unknown men came around. I could leave a plate of food nearby and he wouldn't touch it unless I gave him the okay. He loved fetching whether balls, rocks, sticks and even bigger rocks the size of his head. He would literally go scuba diving if you through a rock into the water. Whenever he was waiting to go out he would do a little dance with his front paws. Unfortunately last month he passed away at around the age of 13.

Its not the first time a pet of has passed away for us. Fish, a few cats, a guinea pig, turtle and three dogs. I can't really admit this to my family but I kind of feel guilty. To explain we moved two years ago and due to the house being newly built and my parents made the dogs be outside dogs or living in the basement. I hated this but I couldn't part with my dog. So yeah I kinda feel like maybe I made him suffer a bit. Being stuck outside in his older age or being stuck in a crate with my moms dog because my parents didn't want them to have free roam of the basement.

What is worse though as he started getting sick I did try to stay with him more than before but I hated watching him barely able to get up so I often went back to my room because I just couldn't bare to sit there. And the worst of all is the night he passed away. Being stressed and a bit depressed about Xanders sickness I wasn't in the mood to be dealing with annoyances but my brothers dog has always been more vocal and annoying. That night was one of the nights when I just wanted to lay down distract myself from the world. But my mom told me to go deal with my brothers dog who was whining and crying. I didn't check on my dog as it had only been about a half hour since I had last checked due to feeding and letting dogs out so I yelled at my brothers dog to shut up that nobody liked him. Three hours later having not checked on Xander my brother having come home within that time he came up and told me that Xander had passed away. I cried after I helped my brother wrap Xander in a sheet and take him outside. I keep thinking about how I should have sat with him a bit more that night. But It was hard for me seeing him suffer.

Anyways yeah I feel guilty about that night. I still cry when I think about him in depth. And I've told a few friends but since Xander passed my dreams tend to include dogs and puppies. But I've concluded that while living with my parents I will not have another dog. Once I'm independent and capable of taking a dog to the vet when they need it. Then I'll consider either adopting or fostering a dog. The reason why I posted this is because even though its been almost a month I'm still facing the struggle of his loss. A few times I have accidentally said his name when saying I was going to let the dogs out but It hasn't happened in a week so I guess that's a step but still I struggle to look at pictures of him, dreams still tend to involve dogs which leaves me a bit grumpy those days and I can't seem to sit through tv shows that involve dogs. I know it'll eventually get easier so I was wondering how long others struggled till they could look through their dogs photos and actually talk about the memories?

A photo of Xander when he was still young

1170677_643514285668297_527103609_n.jpg

Islandvic

Condolences on Xander.

In the past,we've had 2 Australian Cattle Dogs pass away. Always hard when they are like family.

If you get another dog in the future, look into Australian Cattle Dogs, aka "Blue Heelers", or Kelpies. Kelpies are like Blue Heelers but not as large. Both breeds are about the smartest and most loyal someone can own. They make excellent companions as well. Another quality is they also learn very quickly and have an innate ability to "read" a stranger's or visitor's vibe and alert you if they sense something is not right.

They are also great around children and very protective of their owner's family. It's in their nature and instinct to watch over their "heard". They will literally look you in the eye and you'll swear they understand what you say to them.

If you ever talk to someone who has a Blue Heeler or Kelpie, or had one in the past, they will always say it's the best dog they've ever had.

jinjerJOSH22

It just gets easier over time, it’s been about 4 years since my Dog Taz passed away. He was a 16 years old Border Collie who’s legs went.

We knew it was getting to the point where we’d have to make a decision, he was clearly in pain and suffering with his back legs. Standing up he would occasionally whine, if we went on a walk or played in the garden he’d be stiff and barely able to walk for days. He even wasn’t able to jump up on my bed without aid.

It was becoming more and more obvious we’d need to do something but I was terrified of making that decision, he was my best bud after all.

The decision was pretty much made for me, I woke up and he was laying on the floor looking at me, whining. He’d always been very good when he wanted to go to the toilet, he’d be quite audible when he wanted to go. As soon as I realised he couldn’t stand I ran up stairs in a distressed state telling my mother about his situation.

We weren’t able to call the vet out until the next morning, I was partly happy about that because I just wanted this to be a false alarm and he’d be back on his feet after some rest. This obviously wasn’t the case.

It was heartbreaking seeing my Dog peeing where he lay and whining because he wanted to go outside to do it, while all I could do was console him. I spent all night awake with him.

The morning came around and we called the vet but by this point he was fading, his breathing was becoming more laboured and he refused to eat or drink.

The family said there goodbyes and the vet did his thing. My mother couldn’t watch and left the room, I held him In my arms as the vet did it, I’m crying typing this so I’m sure you can imagine what it was like at the time.

I’m relatively good at dealing with loss, usually by making inappropriate jokes but for the first few months I was pretty glum to say the least.

Time makes it easier but my advice is don’t focus on the end, focus on all the great times you had together and if that makes you cry then cry with a smile, it’s so much better than feeling nothing.

PhantomSlayer

Condolences on Xander.

In the past,we've had 2 Australian Cattle Dogs pass away. Always hard when they are like family.

If you get another dog in the future, look into Australian Cattle Dogs, aka "Blue Heelers", or Kelpies. Kelpies are like Blue Heelers but not as large. Both breeds are about the smartest and most loyal someone can own. They make excellent companions as well. Another quality is they also learn very quickly and have an innate ability to "read" a stranger's or visitor's vibe and alert you if they sense something is not right.

They are also great around children and very protective of their owner's family. It's in their nature and instinct to watch over their "heard". They will literally look you in the eye and you'll swear they understand what you say to them.

If you ever talk to someone who has a Blue Heeler or Kelpie, or had one in the past, they will always say it's the best dog they've ever had.

Aren't Blue Heelers also known as Dingos? I believe my moms cousin has had 2 blue heelers. I know they are loyal. One was kinda protective loyal growled and snapped at anyone who approached her owners. Took a few years for her to stop snapping at my dad but she still wouldn't touch anyone but her family. The other used to be besties with our dog Sassy before Sassy passed. She was hit by a car. I personally believe different dogs have different loyaltys.

My childhood family dog Laydee for example I can't remember much of her but I do hear all the stories my parents tell about her. She was a collie/german shepherd mix.
1157544_643507415668984_662403607_n.jpg
We had another dog Snoopy I don't remember much about him just that he was unwalkable on a leash and dragged me around the yard when I tried as a kid. He was an outside dog anyways. Hes in the background of this one with Sassy and Xander

16283_643529379000121_1809867723_n.jpg
Then there was Sassy. Black lab/Rottweiler. I remember her pretty well cause I was much older. Everyone loved her, she loved everyone. She was more human than dog it seemed. If someone would say Get him/her she would well not attack fully but shed bite and take someone down. She seemed to know whether to be gentle or not. I remember when we were camping I was still young and tried to swim with my brother and cousin who were swimming across to a island and I got scared and started crying and Sassy swam out and dragged me back by the life jacket. She did it multiple times cause my parents wanted to see if it was a fluke. SheLOVED kisses and loves.
I did notice there's always been one person none of our dogs liked. Our old neighbor XD Theres a bunch of stories about both Sassy and Laydee who went after him. Laydee was worse though apparently she would chase him down the road and bite his butt.

I think it was thanks to Sassy that Xander turned out to be such a great dog.

Heres some more pics of Sassy

62906_157902887562775_8066772_n.jpg
37221_132884960064568_8194463_n.jpg
62906_157903007562763_4256186_n.jpg
578943_643529632333429_368678894_n.jpg
1148975_643529452333447_331635444_n.jpg
1157708_643529489000110_1026662583_n.jpg

smee82

Aren't Blue Heelers also known as Dingos? I believe my moms cousin has had 2 blue heelers. I know they are loyal. One was kinda protective loyal growled and snapped at anyone who approached her owners. Took a few years for her to stop snapping at my dad but she still wouldn't touch anyone but her family. The other used to be besties with our dog Sassy before Sassy passed. She was hit by a car. I personally believe different dogs have different loyaltys.

My childhood family dog Laydee for example I can't remember much of her but I do hear all the stories my parents tell about her. She was a collie/german shepherd mix.
1157544_643507415668984_662403607_n.jpg
We had another dog Snoopy I don't remember much about him just that he was unwalkable on a leash and dragged me around the yard when I tried as a kid. He was an outside dog anyways. Hes in the background of this one with Sassy and Xander

16283_643529379000121_1809867723_n.jpg
Then there was Sassy. Black lab/Rottweiler. I remember her pretty well cause I was much older. Everyone loved her, she loved everyone. She was more human than dog it seemed. If someone would say Get him/her she would well not attack fully but shed bite and take someone down. She seemed to know whether to be gentle or not. I remember when we were camping I was still young and tried to swim with my brother and cousin who were swimming across to a island and I got scared and started crying and Sassy swam out and dragged me back by the life jacket. She did it multiple times cause my parents wanted to see if it was a fluke. SheLOVED kisses and loves.
I did notice there's always been one person none of our dogs liked. Our old neighbor XD Theres a bunch of stories about both Sassy and Laydee who went after him. Laydee was worse though apparently she would chase him down the road and bite his butt.

I think it was thanks to Sassy that Xander turned out to be such a great dog.

Heres some more pics of Sassy

62906_157902887562775_8066772_n.jpg
37221_132884960064568_8194463_n.jpg
62906_157903007562763_4256186_n.jpg
578943_643529632333429_368678894_n.jpg
1148975_643529452333447_331635444_n.jpg
1157708_643529489000110_1026662583_n.jpg
Dingoes are very different to blue healers.

The hardest thing I had to do was tell my little brother the family dog had died when he was staying with me on his school holidays. It cost me a fortune. I went and bought a playstation 2 that had just came out a few weeks earlier a few games and a couple hundred dollars of chocolates and junk after work before I could tell him

PhantomSlayer

Dingoes are very different to blue healers.

The hardest thing I had to do was tell my little brother the family dog had died when he was staying with me on his school holidays. It cost me a fortune. I went and bought a playstation 2 that had just came out a few weeks earlier a few games and a couple hundred dollars of chocolates and junk after work before I could tell him

Yikes.. All that just to break the news to him...

smee82

Yikes.. All that just to break the news to him...

Yep. He was 12 and supposed to be on holidays having fun with me. And we have had the dog since he was a baby so he had grown up with it.

Mcasella

I lost my beagle 11/16/18, I stayed by her her final night because no vets were on call that late (at least not one of the ones I would have wanted near her. I cried for a month prior to this point because there was nothing I could do and I expected to have lost her by the next morning -I'd tell her before I went to bed that I loved her and I'd see her in the morning). She was 12 and I'd had her since a pup. She was my little old man in a fur suit (she sat like a little old man most of the time with her back legs stretched out and her posture hunched and she snored like a freight train no matter how she was positioned) and would do just about anything I'd ask of her. She drooled anytime you were eating food and not sharing - she liked veggies and enjoyed whatever food she was allowed to share. (She once ate my ice cream when I went to get a drink because she would sit with me and I trusted her to not eat chocolate ice cream that was a little out of reach, she didn't have any issues from eating it thankfully.)
I miss her, not as often but it still hits hard because there was nothing I could do and the vet's didn't even bring about the subject of putting her down even when she was a shadow of her former self. I feel guilty even now about not doing the right thing when I had the time and letting her go more peacefully than she did (she died sleeping beside me, with a smile on her face).

The biggest thing is to keep moving - it didn't help that six months after losing Midnight we had to put down my mom's dog that was going on 14. Both of the girls are buried side by side with a rose over them, they have stone cairns over them as markers and to prevent them from being disturbed. I have another dog that chose me as her owner a couple years before I lost Midnight (and boy did midnight have an issue with me having a second pup, had to sit down with my arms around both of them and tell them they had to get along or I would be upset), she is the daughter of my mother's dog we had to put down - she is an aussie and they are very loyal and loving dogs (she likes to sleep beside me and makes a fuss and likes to talk back).

You can remember the good and the bad times, they can still make you laugh and cry. Just never forget them.

Edit: Dog tax, Midnight and Kera in the first. Dixie in the second. (Midnight had liver failure and a couple other issues so she went from the image below to almost nothing in less than a couple months. Kera had something similar and her hips had begun failing her.)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • AggressiveAquatics
  • Dog
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
  • r5n8xaw00
  • Dog
Replies
Views
mimicoctopi